Natural Resources Technician I
2 positions available
|Department||DNR - Wildlife and Heritage Service|
|Date Opened||1/8/2019 1:22:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/22/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Crystal Wilson|
Two vacancies; full-time
Contract period: Not to exceed 10 months
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
The Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife and Heritage Service (WHS), is currently accepting applications for two Natural Resources Technician I positions to assist with wildlife habitat management projects as well as facilities and equipment maintenance. One position will serve Garrett County from the WHS office located in Oakland, MD. The second position will serve Washington and Frederick counties from the WHS office located in Clear Spring, MD.
Specific duties for each position will include:
- Completing routine habitat management projects
- Conducting routine equipment and grounds maintenance
- Assisting with annual surveys and wildlife data collection
- Responding to nuisance wildlife issues including black bear and deer emergencies
Education: Completion of sixty credit hours from an accredited college or university, 18 of which are in biology, biochemistry, environmental science, forest technology, arboriculture, aquaculture, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology, physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management, zoology, or a natural resources management related field of study.
1. Additional experience performing technical biological work in the field of forestry, arboriculture, wildlife, aquaculture, natural resources management, or fisheries may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in the natural resources management and biological sciences classifications or natural resources management and biological sciences specialty codes in the biological science technician field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program (the Program), have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a temporary/contractual employee who works an average of at least 12 hours per week. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
The online application is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application to:
Department of Natural Resources
580 Taylor Avenue, C-3
Annapolis, MD 21401
The Human Resources Department is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to: Crystal Wilson, e-mail:
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|