MAINTENANCE MECHANIC SENIOR
|Department||DGS Facilities Operations and Maintenance|
|Date Opened||4/30/2019 09:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||6/30/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$27,727.00 - $43,160.00/year (based on qualifications and salary rules)|
|HR Analyst||Tammy Vehstedt|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Positions are available within the Facilities Operations & Maintenance Division of the Department of General Services at facilities located in Arbutus/Catonsville, Ellicott City and Baltimore City, Maryland. However, the list created from this recruitment may also be used to fill other vacancies, in this classification, as they arise.
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to assist the Maintenance Supervisor in the building and grounds maintenance trades performing plumbing, carpentry, HVAC, electrical and landscaping duties.
This is an emergency essential classification subject to emergency release procedures. Employees in this classification must be willing and available for duty at such hours, day or night and are required to remain or report for duty at such hours as needed to maintain the continuous operation of this agency.
If you are the selected candidate you will be required to complete a Pre-Employment Physical. This will assess your ability to safely perform the essential functions of the position.
A Maintenance Mechanic Senior is the advanced level of work in the building and grounds maintenance trades. An employee in this class is required to perform general maintenance tasks such as simple construction, repairs to roadways and walks, routine preventative maintenance, heavy janitorial and general services work.
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
- Maintain grounds by performing maintenance repairs on associated gasoline operating equipment; mows lawn area; and clears roadway, parking lot and sidewalk of debris and clutter. Work with and/or supervise community service workers to maintain landscaped areas, flowered areas and shrubbery.
- Perform repairs to building by replacing ceiling tiles, floor tile and lighting throughout the building. Repairs doors, locks, hinges and related hardware.
- Visually inspects plumbing fixtures and completes repairs. Corrects spills, leaks, breakage and cleans up same.
- Assist in the rebuilding and repairing of motors and pumps when they can be repaired. Oil and grease motors and pumps on generators and large equipment to ensure uninterrupted service.
- Drive State vehicle to perform pick-up and delivery of materials.
- Receive supplies, keep records and store materials in neat and orderly fashion. Maintain inventory records for materials used.
- Collect recycling materials and prepare for collection. Records recycling quantities.
- Make repairs to equipment and tools.
- Other functions that may be required that enables this agency to fulfill its overall government mission which is to maintain all State land and structures for the Facilities Operations and Maintenance Division of DGS.
Education: Completion of the eighth grade.
Experience: Four years of experience in any combination of the maintenance trades of which three years shall have been in the trades of electricity, plumbing, steam fitting, refrigeration or air conditioning.
1. Applicants may substitute additional experience in any of the maintenance trades on a year-for-year basis for up to three years of the required education.
2. A degree from an accredited vocational or technical high school with a major in Building Maintenance or a related field may be substituted for up to three years of the required general experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience at a rank of Corporal/Petty Officer or higher as a non-commissioned officer in utilities repair classifications or construction and engineering specialty codes in any combination of maintenance trades on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualifications. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
Preference will be given to applicants who possess experience operating and repairing lawn maintenance equipment and small gasoline powered equipment.
Candidates with a valid State of Maryland Driver's License are desired.
Preference will be given to candidates with snow removal and landscaping skills including shoveling, plowing, planting, mulching, trimming and grass cutting.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this position. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
Note that for any position requiring a college degree or college credit, you will be required to submit a college transcript prior to being offered a position. We highly recommend that you submit your transcript when you apply for the position.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees. Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
Applicants are encouraged to upload proof of education (transcripts), professional licenses and certifications, when applicable, during the recruitment process as these items will be required at the time of selection.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-767-4986 with questions about this recruitment. The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at www.dbm.maryland.gov – click on the State Jobs tab. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Suite 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|