BUILDING CONSTRUCTION ENGINEER
|Department||DPSCS Capital Construction & Fac. Maintenance|
|Date Opened||3/2/2018 4:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/16/2018 4:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$46,857.00 - $75,012.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Cynthia Wingate|
This recruitment will be used to fill permanent and contractual positions in the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services - Division of Capital Construction and Facilities Maintenance.
This position is permanent day shift, and will be provided with a cell phone and vehicle; will be expected to be available as needed for emergencies by phone.
LOCATION OF POSITION
The position will require frequent travel to various project sites in Maryland, but is located at headquarters in Baltimore City at:
DPSCS - Division of Capital Construction and Facilities Maintenance
6776 Reisterstown Road
Baltimore, MD 21215
Main Purpose of Job
- Coordinates all construction under the Department’s capital improvement program as it relates to renovations, building construction, utilities, roadways, landscapes, etc., within a prescribed region of the State. Attends pre-bid meetings to make sure prospective bidders have a clear understanding of the plans and specifications, also administers work initiation (kick-off) meetings after the contract is awarded to establish contractors’ start and completion dates and to clarify the on-site security rules and regulations of the facility that must be adhered to by the contractor. Attends progress meetings and conducts inspections of projects to insure that the projects are completed according to the specifications to which the project was designed. Verifies the payment of invoices and price proposals.
- Investigates and prepares recommendations for action for construction projects with special problems such as field conditions, user changes, etc., architect/engineer (A/E) errors and omissions, etc. to prevent delays and cost overruns.
- Reviews A/E’s final contract documents submission for constructibility. Monitors contracts/projects to ensure compliance with the plans and specifications and contractor’s adherence to schedule and budget. Prepares documentation for commencement of contract warranties and sets dates for performance (workmanship) verification for a two year period to insure that all the program intent is contained in the project.
- Routinely reviews, updates and files the daily and weekly reports submitted by the Construction Inspection and Testing Firms (CITF’s) and contractors. Maintains the project records for work under construction, include “as built” documentation that is being kept by the contractor and the Independent Construction Inspection and Testing Firm. Transmits to using agency the final record documents received from the architect/engineer. Prepares performance evaluations (interim and final) for contractors, CITF’s and A/E’s for management approval and documentation.
- Recommends action on change orders to contracts and prepares documentation such as project forms and related back-up documentation needed by the Public Safety Procurement Review Board or the Board of Public Works.
- Schedules and conducts routine and final inspections and together with the A/E, prepares punch lists and assists the Assistant Director in final settlement and payment for construction contracts and construction-related services.
- Ensures that work performed on State projects comply with applicable codes and regulations such as ADA, MBE, MDE, SFM and DLLR. Provides verification for construction-related documents for bonding, insurance, warranty certification elevation certification, high voltage certification, health department certification, etc.
- Confers with consultants, A/E’s and facility maintenance staff to provide recommendations for a timely completion of contracted construction and to address construction, security and logistical problems that may occur during the project.
- Participates in the selection process of the CITF’s by this Department. Assigns and supervises the work of CITF’s personnel and certifies their monthly payments. Manages on-site quality assurance inspection by the CITF for assigned construction projects to ascertain that work performed is in accordance with plans and specifications.
- Assists with the justification review and coordination of input from correctional institutions in an assigned region for the development of facilities programs required for capital budget requests and for A/E-related services.
- Performs other related duties assigned by the Assistant Director such as managing and inspecting some construction projects where CITF services cannot be funded, preparing updates on assigned projects for month executive reports and managing the overall operations of the assigned DCCFM field construction office.
Education: A Bachelor's degree in civil, electrical or mechanical engineering from an accredited college or university approved by the Engineers' Council for Professional Development.
Experience: Eight years of experience in the building construction field, at least three years of which must have included overseeing or inspecting major construction projects.
1. Applicants currently registered as Professional Engineers in Maryland or in a state with comparable requirements are considered to meet all education requirements for these positions. Applicants must present evidence of registration with the application.
2. Additional specific experience as defined above may be substituted at the rate of one year of experience for one year of education for up to four years of the required education.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the Civil Engineering Corps classifications or Construction Analyst or Civil Engineering specialty codes in the Engineering field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after the above closing date.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application.
To submit qualifying documents, the preferred method is to upload them using the online application; however, if you’re unable to upload your documents, please fax requested information only to 410-585-0570 (enclose a cover sheet with your contact information, position name, recruitment number 18-003242-002, and the number of pages faxed).
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing an application.
Online applications are
STRONGLY preferred. If the online application process is not available, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire (by the closing date) to:
HRSD-Recruitment & Examination ATTN: C. Wingate 6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 309 Baltimore, MD 21215 We will not consider information submitted after the closing date of this announcement. If you have any questions about this recruitment, please email: email@example.com We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
HRSD-Recruitment & Examination ATTN: C. Wingate
6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 309 Baltimore, MD 21215
We will not consider information submitted after the closing date of this announcement. If you have any questions about this recruitment, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.