CAPITAL CONSTRUCTION ENGINEER/ARCHITECT SENIOR
Project Manager & Green Building Council Staff
|Department||DGS Facilities Planning Design & Construction|
|Date Opened||3/6/2017 2:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/20/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$60,543 - $78,952/year hiring range with progression to $97,203|
|HR Analyst||Tammy Vehstedt|
Applicants that applied previously do not need to reapply.
LOCATION OF POSITION
301 W. Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
Projects located at sites throughout the State of Maryland with travel to job site as necessary.
Main Purpose of Job
The Maryland Department of General Services (DGS) division of Project Management & Design is seeking an individual to act as staff to the Maryland Green Building Council and Project Manager on Capital Projects.
This division provides project management for Capital State Projects, from program approval through design and construction to ensure compliance with the project program and approved budget. The division is responsible for all design and construction projects for the Maryland Departments of General Services, Natural Resources, Juvenile Services, Military, Judiciary, State Police, Planning, Health & Mental Hygiene, Education, Veterans Affairs, MD Public Television, Baltimore City Community College and several other State entities.
This position would also be responsible for leading the Department's Green Building Program and staffing the Maryland Green Building Council, a council made up of appointed members and representatives from relevant State Agencies. The Council is governed by State Finance & Procurement Article 4-801 and 3-602.1. Staff responsibilities include meeting and event logistics, records of meetings, annual reports on the status of State funded green buildings, research on sustainability topics for the council and other duties as requested by the Council Chair.
- Manage capital projects including documenting decisions, managing financials, coordinating with other governmental entities and managing architects and engineer design teams.
- Manage all aspects of a project budget including complete project accounting, negotiating AE modifications, construction change orders, etc.
- Assists in the procurement of contracts including request for proposal (RFP) development, evaluation committee duties and dispute resolution. Manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Communicate effectively with a variety of audiences, both technical and non-technical, both written and verbally.
- Prepare documents for bidding for new and renovation projects.
- Review design and construction documents for capital projects from an architecture and engineering standpoint for various State Agencies.
- Negotiate fees for the design of projects with Architects and Engineers.
- Prepare required State documentation for projects including Board of Public Works agendas, MBE documentation requirements and program documentation.
- Other duties as assigned.
DGS Green Building Program/Green Building Council:
- Provide mentoring to internal DGS staff on sustainable building practices, guidelines and recommendations.
- Write meeting minutes, meeting agendas and reports on the status of State funded green buildings.
- Coordinate the logistics of monthly meetings and annual events for the Green Building Council.
- Provide guidance on State regulations for the Green Building Council.
- Provide customer service on green buildings issues to State Agencies and local government entities requesting assistance.
- Enhance green building practices for State funded projects.
- Develop and facilitate the green building program to increase interaction, compliance and reporting of green building results from all State agencies.
- Coordinate the development of the Green Building Council's Annual Report.
- Work with DGS Energy to develop a program to measure and verify the positive impacts of green buildings. Proficient in computer skills (Word and Excel).
- Other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree in engineering or architecture from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Five years of experience as a design or project engineer or architect for large-scale multi-year construction projects.
See also the Licenses, Registrations and Certifications Section for additional requirements.
1. Master’s degree in engineering or architecture from an accredited college or university may be substituted for up to one year of the required experience.
2. Professional Engineer or Professional Architect registration in the State of Maryland or in a state with comparable requirements may be substituted for the education requirement.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Civil Engineer Corps or Engineering Aid classifications or Construction Engineering Technician, Technical Engineer, or Civil or Combat Engineering specialty codes in the Engineering field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Certified Energy Manager (CEM) and/or Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design Accredited Professional (LEED AP)
Strong organizational and analytical skills
Understanding of Sustainability legislation, regulations and policies
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
This recruitment is limited to applicants willing to accept employment in Baltimore City, Maryland.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification are required to possess and maintain a Professional Engineer or Professional Architect registration in the State of Maryland or in a state with comparable requirements.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Employees may be required to carry an electronic paging device or provide the employing agency with a telephone number where the employee can be reached after normal business hours.
Please provide sufficient information on your application to support that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications MUST BE submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees.
Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – Verification will be completed by the appointing authority. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of the examination, you may participate in the examination process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of an examination. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week. You must include on your application the time spent on such activity. You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
The incumbent in this position is a member of a covered bargaining unit and will be required to pay a bi-weekly service fee to the exclusive representative of the bargaining unit.
To submit additional information, please upload an attachment to your application.
Contact email@example.com or call 410-767-4986 for questions about this recruitment.
The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Room 1207, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are also encouraged to apply.
Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity, as an equal opportunity employer.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay