DIRECT CARE ASSISTANT I
|Department||MDH Potomac Center|
|Date Opened||7/28/2017 4:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||6/12/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$25,502.00 - $32,502.00/year, with potential growth to $39,574.00|
|HR Analyst||Janet Esser|
The Maryland Department of Health’s Developmental Disabilities Administration oversees the operation the Potomac Center. The Potomac Center is a State Residential Center and is responsible for the provision of needed services to people who have intellectual disabilities admitted to the facility while working to integrate these people into less restrictive settings in the community.
The mission of the Potomac Center is to provide therapeutic interventions in support of people with intellectual disabilities to lead meaningful lives in the community. Their vision is to empower Marylanders to live a life meaningful to them, contributing and thriving in their community. Their guiding principles are: Teamwork, Quality, Trust, Accountability, Open Communications, Integrity, Honesty, Respect, Pride, and Loyalty.
LOCATION OF POSITION
MDH/Potomac Center, Hagerstown, Maryland
Main Purpose of Job
This recruitment is for multiple positions and shifts within the Potomac Center.
These positions will assist in the care, treatment, habilitation or rehabilitation of mentally or physically ill patients, aged or developmentally disabled clients in need of support, assistance, mentoring in their treatment plans, skill building, vocational and meaningful life activities. These positions are essential members of an interdisciplinary team working together to provide all services needed to meet all needs of the person to return to full community living.
Certified Nursing Assistant training and help with obtaining certification is available.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalence certificate.
Experience: Six months of experience in work assisting in the care, treatment, habilitation or rehabilitation of mentally or physically ill patients, aged or developmentally disabled clients.
1. Applicants may substitute experience in patient or client direct care for the required education on a year-for-year basis for up to four years of the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Hospital Corpsman classifications or Health Care Specialist and Medical Services specialty codes in the health related field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Candidates for positions in this classification must possess and maintain a current certificate as a Nursing Assistant from the Maryland State Board of Nursing or have successfully completed a Board of Nursing approved nursing assistant training program and received certification as a Nursing Assistant from the Board of Nursing within sixty days from date of hire prior to performing delegated nursing tasks. *A copy of your current licensure should accompany your completed application.*
2. Employees in facilities that provide long term care for the aged may be required to possess or obtain a Geriatric Aide certificate.
3. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
4. Employees in some positions may be required to operate vans which require a specific motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess the appropriate motor vehicle operator's license.
5. Employees in this classification may be required to successfully complete and maintain a current certification of cardiopulmonary resuscitation training.
1. Employees in this classification must have successfully completed a direct care training course or examination approved by the hiring facility prior to permanent appointment to a position in this classification.
2. Employees in this classification are subject to call-in and will be required to provide the facility with a telephone number at which they can be reached.
3. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
Applicants who meet the minimum (and selective) qualifications will be included in further evaluation. The evaluation may be a rating of your application based on your education, training and experience as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all related education, experience, dates and hours of work. Clearly indicate your college degree and major on your application, if applicable. For education obtained outside the U.S., any job offer will be contingent on the candidate providing an evaluation for equivalency by a foreign credential evaluation service prior to starting employment (and may be requested prior to interview). Complete applications must be submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after this date will not be added. Candidates may remain on the certified eligible list for a period of at least one year.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application may be submitted to MDH, Recruitment and Selection Division, 201 W. Preston St., Room 114-B, Baltimore, MD 21201. The paper application must be received by 5 pm, close of business, on the closing date for the recruitment, no postmarks will be accepted.
Incorrect application forms will not be accepted.
If additional information is required, the preferred method is to upload. If unable to upload, please fax requested information only to 410-333-5689. Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment. All additional information must be received by the closing date and time.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the MDH Recruitment and Selection Division at 410-767-1251.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: 410-767-1251 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
The incumbent in this position is a member of a covered bargaining unit and will be required to pay a bi-weekly service fee to the exclusive representative of the bargaining unit.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.