ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER OF CORRECTION
Chief Executive Officer, Maryland Correctional Enterprises
|Department||DPSCS-Maryland Correctional Enterprises|
|Date Opened||1/2/2020 1:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/16/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$83,816.00 - $134,568.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Elizabeth Cohen|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Maryland Correctional Enterprises
7275 Waterloo Road
The Chief Executive Officer of Maryland Correction Enterprises (MCE) is responsible for the day-to-day management of MCE. MCE is the prison industry arm of the Maryland Division of Correction, and is a $50 million dollar plus self-supporting organization that utilizes inmate labor to produce quality products and services at 26 plants and service centers at 10 different prison locations statewide.
- Plans, organizes and evaluates the overall operations, combining private and public operational and administrative methods.
- Develops and implements long range strategic/business plans, goals and objectives.
- Controls the expenditure of generated funds.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures governing the agency's overall operations.
- Directs all Industry Operations and programs to include Plant Production, Delivery, Projects, Information Technology, Reentry, Human Resources, Finance, Sales and Marketing. Also directly responsible for all MCE Assets including cash, equipment, machinery, buildings, vehicles, furnishings, raw materials, component parts, and fixed goods
- Develops and implements sales and marketing plans to ensure revenues equal or exceed expenses.
- Manages Human Resources and promotes Staff Development within the MCE Program, Delegating Authority when appropriate and directing staff through subordinate supervisors.
- Serves as the Appointing Authority for MCE.
- Develops, manages and administers MCE's annual budget and forecasts/projects future budgets to ensure self-supporting status.
- Reviews and approves contracts for raw materials, component parts, equipment, vehicles, etc.
- Directs the economical use of employee and inmate workers, money and material.
- Administers MCE selling prices as negotiated with customers and with DGS.
- Represents/testifies as required at all Legislative Hearings.
- Develops responses to questions for Legislature concerning MCE.
Education: A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
Experience: Four years of management level experience that includes responsibility for production, fiscal, budgeting, personnel, and major program planning and implementation
Candidates may substitute additional years of the required experience on a year-for-year basis for four years for the bachelor's degree.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be submitted to: Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division, 301 W. Preston St., Baltimore, MD 21201. Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment. No postmarks will be accepted.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the DBM Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov or 410-767-4850, MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.