TAX CONSULTANT I/ TAX CONSULTANT II- Tax Attorney
Compliance and Revenue Administration Divisions
|Department||Comptroller of Maryland|
|Date Opened||10/29/2019 07:59:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/19/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||Level I: $46,477.00 - $74,191.00/year, Level II:$52,687.00-$84,552.00 Yearly|
OPEN TO ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS
This is a position specific recruitment. The resulting certified eligible list may be used to staff several current and future vacancies for this position/function only.
Tax Consultant I: Grade 16
Tax Consultant II: Grade 18
LOCATION OF POSITION
Baltimore City, Maryland
Annapolis, Maryland (Anne Arundel County)
*Please be sure to indicate on your application the locations in which you will accept employment. For consideration for the Annapolis position please select Baltimore City and Annapolis.
This recruitment is for current vacancies for the Compliance and Revenue Administration Divisions located in Baltimore City and Annapolis, MD.
Compliance Division (Baltimore location): The incumbent of this position will act as a Hearing Officer for the Compliance Division of the Comptroller's Office. The incumbent will respond to taxpayers and their representatives to resolve questions regarding appeal procedures, and interest calculations. Additional duties for this position include: conducting hearings with taxpayers and their representatives to determine the accuracy, validity, perform research on the common law, caselaw precedents, and statutory changes, preparing written final determinations, and responding to inquiries from taxpayers involving the application of Maryland Tax Laws under specific situations.
Revenue Administration Division (Annapolis location): This is Staff Attorney position located in the Legal Section of the division. The primary responsibility of this position is to perform legal research and analysis of the State's revenue laws and regulations, the Internal Revenue Code and regulations, and other statutes, codes, etc. The incumbent will provide legal advice and guidance to division management and personnel, tax and other professionals, and the general public and others in order to assure proper administration and compliance with the State's revenue laws. The incumbent will also assist in the review and analysis of pending federal and state legislation that may affect Maryland tax laws, etc. and assist in the preparation of regulations, written administrative guidance and tax exemption requests. Must be able to work Monday through Friday in a full -time capacity. Required hours for this position are 8:00am - 5:00pm with an hour lunch or 8:30am - 5:00 p.m. with a 1/2 hour lunch. Must be willing and able to work overtime on Saturdays, holidays and other than normal work hours when needed.
- This position requires the applicant to be admitted to the Maryland Bar. The candidate must be able to provide a current Certification of Good Standing from the Court of Appeals of Maryland. Candidates who provide proof of notification they have successfully passed the most recent Maryland Bar Examination will also be eligible for consideration.
- Please submit a writing sample with your application if you are applying for the Baltimore position. This may be submitted via email or fax. Submission information can be found below under Further Instructions.
Education (Both Levels) : Possession of a Juris Doctor or equivalent degree from an accredited school of law.
Experience: Tax Consultant I: None.
- Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in judge advocate classification or judge advocate specialty codes in the tax law specialist field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
Experience: Tax Consultant II: One year of experience in the practice of tax law in the State of Maryland.
- Applicants may substitute graduate education in an academic field related to the required experience from an accredited college or university at the rate of one year of education for the required experience.
- Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in judge advocate classification or judge advocate specialty codes in the tax law specialist field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
** For education obtained outside of the U.S., you will be required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service. If you possess a degree obtained outside of the United States, please submit a detailed, course-by-course evaluation report from one of the U.S. equivalency evaluating members identified at http://www.naces.org/members.html.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Compliance Division (Baltimore)
- Proficiency in legal research using both printed and electronic materials
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (writing sample required with application)
- Experience that demonstrates a willingness to provide service to and/or work with the public
- Knowledge of the Maryland State tax laws, including personal, corporate, sales and use, pass through entity, fiduciary, estate and inheritance
- Proficiency with personal computers
- Proficiency (written and oral) in Spanish
- Master's degree in taxation
Revenue Administration Division (Annapolis)
- Knowledge of the Maryland State tax laws, including individual, corporate, sales and use, pass through entity, and fiduciary tax laws
- Knowledge of the United States Internal Revenue Code and its applicability to Maryland tax laws
- Ability to perform legal research
- Ability to organize, prepare and effectively present memorandum, motions, opinions and conclusions on legal research
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills Experience that demonstrates a willingness to provide service to and/or work with the public
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Admission to the Maryland Bar.
- Employees appointed to positions in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to demonstrate that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. Please indicate clearly any position-specific experience and ensure all education and experience sections are complete. For consideration for this position, you must indicate that you have received your Juris Doctor and are eligible to practice law in the state of Maryland.
Incomplete information may result in the disqualification of your application. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
*Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Only applicants who meet the minimum and selective qualifications for this recruitment will be considered for this opportunity. Approval of your application will be based on a review of your education, training and experience. It is essential that you submit complete and accurate information on your application in order to determine if you meet the qualifications as specified above. Due to the nature of this list, all qualified applicants are placed on an unranked list of candidates and will remain active on this list for at least one year.
Qualifying applicants are subject to an oral interview. Prior to appointment, the employee must successfully undergo a comprehensive background investigation including a review of criminal, MVA and tax records; and determination of legal authorization to work in the United States or under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. This background check is comprehensive and may involve fingerprinting. Upon initial appointment OR promotion to a position in the State Personnel Management System, an employee is required to serve an initial six- month probationary period. This probationary period may be extended an additional six months under certain circumstances at the discretion of the appointing authority.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country and encourage them to apply. If you are seeking veteran's preference, please submit a copy of your DD-214.
The preferred method for submitting additional information is to upload it directly into your online account. Please remove references to the first 5 digits of your SSN and your DOB on all attachments by deleting, redacting or blacking that information out with a marker.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you choose fax or email as the option to submit your application and/or required additional information, you must include the following information on each page you submit:
- First and Last Name
- Recruitment Number (located at the top of the bulletin)
- The last 4 digits of your SS#
Fax: 410-974-5249 – This fax number is for Comptroller of Maryland recruitment efforts only.
For Further Questions
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
If you have questions about this particular recruitment, please contact the Comptroller of MD, Office of Human Resources at email@example.com.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: (410)260-6622 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.