Preparedness Specialist (Planning)
|Department||Maryland Emergency Management Agency|
|Date Opened||11/1/2019 08:45:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||11/16/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$23.66 - $30.70/hour|
|HR Analyst||Kristi Metzger|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Note: Position will be required to work in an emergency/disaster capacity according to assignment within the State Emergency Operations Structure and according to the Consequence Management Operations Plan.
The Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) is the agency of State government with primary responsibility and authority for emergency preparedness policy, and for coordinating hazard mitigation, incident response, and disaster recovery. MEMA works to ensure that all Marylanders are prepared, and to make Maryland more resilient. Emergency preparedness planning is a critical part of MEMA's mission and the successful execution of the Agency's Center for Preparedness Excellence.
This position reports to the Preparedness Branch Manager. This position supports all efforts related to emergency preparedness planning, including supporting MEMA' s activities in the National Capital Region (NCR) by serving on working groups and representing the Agency as a Preparedness Specialist, and supporting MEMA's statewide activities, including developing , promoting, and implementing assigned plans, documents , and other materials related to the Maryland Emergency Management System. The position will support Agency programs, projects, and activities related to the overall Agency mission, and may be tasked to support other related Agency programs, projects, and activities, as assigned by the Preparedness Branch Manager, Consequence Management Director, Deputy Executive Director and/or Agency Executive Director. In order to fulfill these responsibilities, this position requires strong technical, presentation, planning, and leadership skills.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, this position requires strong project management, communication, presentation, organizational, and planning skills.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as a member of the Planning Unit, including conducting consequence management planning and planning activities for the Prevention, Response, and Recovery Mission Areas. This position will be responsible for using and applying the Maryland Plan Development Process for planning products.
- Serve as a support for Agency training and exercise activities, including the assistance of the delivery of training courses, exercises, and other preparedness readiness activities.
- Support the Agency’s activities in the National Capital Region (NCR), including serving as the State’s representative on one or more working groups as a Sr. Preparedness Specialist. Specific duties include representing Agency priorities and interests in regional project development, briefing all activities to Employee’s supervisor, and attending program and project management meetings in the NCR.
- Support the Agency’s statewide activities, including developing, promoting, and implementing assigned plans, documents, and other materials related to the Maryland Emergency Management System. This may include, but not be limited to, conducting capability assessments, and developing operational plans. Provide support and assistance for the development and delivery of training and exercise.
- Support MEMA’s strategic goals and objectives for emergency management.
- Support Maryland’s strategic goals and objectives for homeland security.
- Support and participate in Consequence Management Directorate and overall Agency initiatives and programs.
- Emergency and disaster prevention, response, and recovery operations as needed and/or assigned by agency Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director, Directors, or Consequence Management personnel.
Education: A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Four years of experience in administrative staff or professional work.
1. Additional experience in administrative staff or professional work may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Additional graduate level education at an accredited college or university may be substituted at the rate of 30 semester credit hours on a year-for-year basis for the required general experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer involving staff work related to the administration of rules, regulations, policy, procedures and processes, or overseeing or coordinating unit operations or functioning as a staff assistant to a higher ranking commissioned officer on a year-for-year basis for the required education and experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- Graduate degree
- Project management experience
- Completion of an emergency management planning certification (to include Maryland Planners Course and DHS Basic National Planners Course)
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
RESUMES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED IN LIEU OF COMPLETING THE EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|