HEALTH PHYSICIST SUPERVISOR
AIR AND RADIATION ADMINISTRATION
|Department||MDE - Air and Radiation Administration (ARA)|
|Date Opened||10/31/2019 08:40:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||12/1/2019 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$56,165-$73,144 with progression to $90,173. State Salary Guidelines apply to State Employees|
|HR Analyst||Peggie Jefferson|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to manage the Technical Planning Section which is responsible for radon outreach, radiation control program regulation development, enforcement of radiation control regulations, managing reciprocal recognition of radioactive materials users as well as managing the general license devices in order to protect the public from any unnecessary exposure to radiation. The incumbent in this position is responsible for critical work assignments, completing personnel performance evaluations and monitoring employee's accomplishments in the radiological health field. This position plays a role in mock or actual nuclear power plant events.
The incumbent may be exposed to uncomfortable or unpleasant surroundings during inspections at industrial facilities using radionuclides. Weather and field activities may also be uncomfortable or unpleasant. The incumbent may be potentially exposed to radiation from medical units/industrial devices including accelerators. During site inspections protective gloves, and wearing radiation monitoring devices for evaluations or radiation dose will be required.
Education: A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 30 credits in mathematical, physical or biological sciences.
Experience: Five years of experience in performing the recognition, evaluation and control of radiological hazards.
1. Candidates may substitute additional experience in performing the recognition, evaluation and control of radiological hazards to employees and the general public on a year-for-year basis for required education.
2. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Doctorate in health physics, nuclear physics, radiation management or other related field of radiological health from an accredited college or university for three of the required years of experience.
3. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Master's degree in radiation safety, radiological health, health physics, or a related radiation control field from an accredited college or university for two years of the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Master's degree in mathematical, biological, or physical science from an accredited college or university for one year of the required experience.
5. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Bachelor's degree in radiation safety, radiological health, health physics or a related radiation control field from an accredited college or university for one year of the required experience.
6. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Health and Medical Physicist classifications or Health and Medical Physicist specialty codes in the Physicist field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Experience supervising employees in a technical or regulatory setting;
Be a certified Health Physicist;
Be an authorized Medical Physicist or Radiation Safety Officer on a Federal or State Nuclear Material License.
Bachelor's Degree or higher in a Physical Science or Nuclear engineering (i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology, etc.).
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position. For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
The MD Department of the Environment does not sponsor individuals in the application of the H-1B Visa. All applicants must be legally authorized and possess any necessary documents under the Act in order to be hired in the position for which you apply.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|