OFFICE SECRETARY II
|Department||DAT Real Property Valuation|
|Date Opened||7/31/2018 2:31:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/14/2018 4:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$28,702.00 - $44,812.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Susan Derlunas|
This is a position Specific Recruitment for the State Department of Assessments and Taxation, Real Property Division, Harford County Assessments Office. The resulting eligible list will be used for this position only. Interested persons will need to reapply for future recruitments in this classification.
*Recruitment is limited to current State Department of Assessments and Taxation employees only.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Howard County Assessments Office
3451 Court House Drive
Ellicott City, Maryland 21043
Main Purpose of Job
- Provides secretarial support to the Supervisor and Assistant Supervisor of the county.
- Acts as an intermediary for the Supervisor, maintaining frequent contact with the public, tax representatives and other officials.
- Provides information to callers in regard to laws, rules, regulations, procedures, policy and operations of the Department.
- Answer Taxpayer questions, on a daily basis, the Assessment appeals process to help property owners understand the office functions, the assessment cycle, appeals process (all levels), valuation, tax credits or any other pertinent information through phone calls, in person or on line.
- Uses word processing, database, spreadsheet or desktop publishing computer software applications in order to prepare reports, charts, graphs or other documents.
- Drafts and types routine and complex correspondence, manuscripts, reports and other documents using a typewriter or personal computer.
- Log in all appeals by data entry into the AAVS system.
- Create a scheduled appeal notice, appeal documentation sheet, worksheet and hearing docket for all assessors.
- Schedule all hearings and maintain the dockets.
- Assists in supervising lower level clerical employees that functions are performed in the absence of the Office Manager and Assistant Office Manager.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
Experience: Two years performing secretarial or clerical work involving typing duties.
1. Additional secretarial or clerical experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Thirty credit hours with a major in secretarial science or office technology from an accredited college may be substituted at the rate of thirty credits for one year of experience for up to two years of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Administration classifications or Administrative, Clerical, or Office Services specialty codes in the Administrative Support field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of policies and practices used in a local assessments office.
- Clerical or technical experience in processing assessments records and forms.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Please read the job announcement in its entirety before applying for this recruitment. Applicants must meet all minimum qualifications to be considered, and to appear on the list of people eligible for hire. The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience as presented on your application and as they relate to the requirements of the position.
The supplemental questions will be used as part of the rating process.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application. Online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If online access is not available, you may submit a paper application and resume to: Department of Assessments and Taxation, Attn: Human Resources Department, Room 511, 300 W. Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201.
Applications must be received by the closing date. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 410-767-1140.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.