PUBLIC UTILITY AUDITOR
|Department||PSC Accounting Investigations|
|Date Opened||6/8/2018 07:10:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||6/29/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$44,017.00 - $70,265.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Loni Young|
The Public Service Commission (PSC or Commission) regulates public utilities and certain passenger transportation companies doing business in Maryland. The Commission regulates gas, electric, telephone, water, and sewage disposal companies. Also subject to the jurisdiction of the Commission are electricity suppliers, fees for pilotage services to vessels, construction of a generating station and certain common carriers engaged in the transportation for hire of persons. The PSC’s jurisdiction extends to taxicabs operating in the City of Baltimore, Baltimore County, Cumberland, and Hagerstown.
The categories of regulated public service companies are listed below: electric utilities; gas utilities; combination gas and electric utilities; telecommunications companies; water, and water and sewerage companies; passenger motor vehicle carriers (sedans, limousines, and buses); railroad companies; taxicab companies; and other public service companies.
The Commission is empowered to hear and decide matters relating to: (1) rate adjustments; (2) applications to exercise or abandon franchises; (3) applications to modify the type or scope of service; (4) approval of issuance of securities; (5) promulgation of new rules and regulations; and (6) quality of utility and common carrier service.
LOCATION OF POSITION
William Donald Schaefer Tower
6 St. Paul Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Main Purpose of Job
The Maryland Public Service Commission, a State agency regulating public utility companies, has a position available for a Public Utility Auditor in the Accounting Division. The position is responsible for audits and analyses of utility rates and financial data of public utility companies, and the presentation of the results to the Commission.
Duties will include:
- Evaluate and prepare recommendations regarding utility revenue requirement calculations, cost allocations, rate tariffs, fuel/energy costs, surcharge rates, and codes of utility conduct in Commission-docketed hearings and other administrative proceedings
- Monitor utility markets through the analysis and auditing of public utility financial statements and other filings
- Analyze customer bills for compliance with tariffs and applicable regulations
- Prepare well-documented and organized work papers to support conclusions/recommendations from audits and other tasks
- Respond to inquiries from the Division Director, Division Assistant Director, and technical staff and stakeholders regarding regulatory accounting matters
- Monitor and research emerging regulatory issues from federal, state and industry level concerning accounting/financial issues and regarding the development of competitive energy markets to ascertain the impact on the utility companies and consumers
- Participate in settlement discussions, fact-finding sessions, roundtable forums, and other alternative dispute resolution forums as administered by the Commission
Education: A bachelor’s degree in Accounting or other business related field from an accredited college or university with 30 credit hours in accounting and auditing.
Experience: Two years of professional experience in accounting or auditing with a public utility company or utility regulatory agency.
1. Applicants may substitute experience in general accounting and auditing for the required experience, at the rate of two years of general accounting and auditing experience for one year of professional experience in accounting or auditing with a public utility company or utility regulatory agency.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in tax examining classification or tax examining specialty codes in the accounting and budget group field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Please make sure to provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must accompany the application.
All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
Only candidates who meet the minimum requirements will be evaluated for this position and placed on an eligibility list for one year. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified and placed on the eligibility list for one year. The list will be used by the hiring agency to fill this position only.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience relating to the requirement of this job. The rating will be based on your application. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information in your application.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may mail a paper application (by the closing date) to:
Department of Budget and Management
Recruitment and Examination Division
301 West Preston Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Should additional information regarding this recruitment be required, please call 410-767-3386.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank Veterans for their service to our country.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|