CORR OFFICER I
Correctional Officer I
|Department||Department of Public Safety and Correctional Svcs|
|Date Opened||4/21/2016 3:35:00 PM|
|Salary||$39,024.00 - $55,547.00/year|
|HR Analyst||William Smith|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Multiple positions are located throughout the State of Maryland.
Main Purpose of Job
Correctional Officer I is the entry level of work involving the custody, security and supervision of adult inmates in a correctional facility.
Attends an entrance level training program certified by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission
Attends firearms training; Learns specific duties on various security posts through on-the-job training
Maintains control of inmates while escorting individuals or groups within the prison
Keeps accurate head counts of inmates in the assigned security post
Conducts inspections and searches of inmates and inmate access and work areas for drugs, weapons and other unauthorized materials
Enforces rules of conduct among inmates and learns when to prepare reports of infractions
Operates manual and electronic locking systems
Subdues and restrains inmates during fights, riots and escape attempts
When standing an armed post, learns how to determine the need for using firearms and uses them when necessary
Assists in the search for escapees, their capture and return to the institution
Assists in maintaining the custody of inmates during transport to other institutions or court appearances
Drives motor vehicles when transporting inmates, making outside security rounds, searching for escapees and related activities
May search visitors for contraband
May place inmates in handcuffs, restraining belts and leg irons
Performs other related duties.
MINIMUM EDUCATION OR GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
Education: High School diploma or G.E.D. certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Note: The above educational requirement is set by the Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
2. Employees in this classification may be required to operate busses for the transportation of inmates. Employees assigned such duties will be required to obtain a Class B Commercial Driver's License with passenger and air brakes endorsements valid in the State of Maryland.
1. Employees who have not already done so must meet the selection standards required and successfully complete the training prescribed by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission for a correctional officer during their probationary period, (Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209). Selection standards for correctional officer training are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations Title 12, Subtitle 10, Chapter 01 and include the following:
U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien status
Must be at least 21 years of age
A completed background investigation
2. Employees in this classification will be required to bear firearms, and to demonstrate practical knowledge and proficiency in the safe use and care of firearms on a periodic basis.
3. Employees are subject to call-in 24 hours a day and, therefore, must provide the employing agency with a telephone number where they can be reached.
4. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal substances.
Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications, successfully complete the written examination and hiring process will be placed on the employment eligible list.The list will be used by the DPSCS to select employees for at least two years.
If you have any questions about this recruitment, please contact the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services at 410-339-4200.
Please apply online for this recruitment.
6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 309
Baltimore, MD 21215
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|