- Hourly / - BiWeekly /
- Monthly / $56,727.00-$91,075.00 Yearly
Plans, coordinates, supervises and evaluates the work of IT Technical Support Specialists and related support staff;
Trains IT Technical Support Specialists;
Installs, tests, debugs and maintains new and revised operating system software or data communication software;
Develops programs, procedures and standards for interfaces between software applications programs, the user processes, the communication subsystems and the computer operating system;
Documents and maintains operating system or data communication system procedures and revisions and informs information technology personnel as necessary;
Secures the central processing unit, peripherals and stored data from unauthorized access and disturbance or destruction of data or operating capability through system security software and recovery procedures;
Prepares disaster recovery plans and performs backup procedures to facilitate recovery of stored data and information technology operations;
Plans and participates in the conduct of long and short range studies for determining the feasibility of converting to or modifying existing information technology systems including the operating system capacity requirements;
Coordinates with vendor representatives in the installation or testing phases of new hardware or system software;
Resolves issues related to operating systems procedures with operations staff, other information technology personnel and systems users;
Programs supplemental service routines and utility programs using third generation computer programming languages;
Monitors computer system performance and utilization, modifies operating system parameters and makes adjustments to disk space allocations to fine tune system performance according to established performance standards for system response times;
Studies technical literature and attends workshops, seminars and training classes to keep abreast of the latest developments in information technology;
May make recommendations for modifications to applications programming to enhance system performance and utilization;
Performs other related duties.
Knowledge of the principles and practices of computer programming;
Knowledge of the principles and practices of maintaining and modifying operating systems for multipurpose, multi-tasking computers;
Knowledge of machine or assembler computer language and other generally accepted computer programming languages;
Knowledge of the functions and capabilities of multipurpose, multi-tasking computer systems and related data communications systems;
Skill in installing, modifying and maintaining operating system software and data communication software;
Skill in documenting new and revised operating system or data communication system procedures and standards;
Skill in using diagnostic and performance tools and other software products to maintain established information technology standards;
Skill in applying inductive and deductive reasoning to reach logical solutions to technical support problems;
Ability to communicate effectively and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with systems users, vendors, computer operations personnel and programmer analysts;
Ability to plan, coordinate, supervise and evaluate the work of IT Technical Support Specialists.
Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Information Technology, Computer Science, Management Information Systems or other information technology-related field to include course work in machine or assembler computer languages, and operating system and data communication technology for multipurpose, multi-tasking computers.
Experience: Three years of experience maintaining and modifying operating systems for multipurpose, multi-tasking computers.
1. Thirty credit hours from an accredited college or university in Computer Information Technology, Computer Science, Management Information Systems or other information technology-related field to include course work in machine or assembler computer languages, and operating system and data communication technology for multipurpose, multi-tasking computers may be substituted for the required education.
2. One additional year of experience maintaining and modifying operating systems for multipurpose, multi-tasking computers may be substituted for the required education.
3. Experience operating multipurpose, multi-tasking computer systems; or scheduling, controlling input and output or maintaining a tape library to process data on multipurpose, multi-tasking computer systems; or converting data from project specifications by developing program code using third generation or other generally accepted computer programming languages; or designing, developing and maintaining communications networks may be substituted for high school on a year-or-year basis.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the Computer Systems Operations classifications or Computer Systems Operations specialty codes in the Information Technology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.