|Date Opened||7/20/2023 08:00:00 AM|
|Closing Date||10/2/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Department||BUILDING & DEVELOPMENT|
|Job Type||Open and Competitive|
Loudoun County, Virginia, is one of the fastest growing counties in the United States. County staff are individuals who dedicate their talents, education, and experience to make a difference in the community. In the Department of Building and Development, we place a high value on work-life balance, professional development, and service to our dynamic community. Join our team of professionals who are committed to Community, Teamwork and Innovation in a collaborative, fast-paced environment. The Department is seeking a management professional with strong customer service skills to oversee the plans review functions and to assist the Division Manager/Building Official in the Administration of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC).
The Operations Manager position requires an individual with strong technical skills related to Code Enforcement Division’s mission of protecting the public through administration of the USBC, strong leadership skills and exceptional customer service. This Operations Manager position is critical to the success of the Division as Loudoun County continues to transition to a more urban community. The duties of this position will include a wide knowledge base to oversee a variety of procedures, methods of operation and consistent enforcement of these policies and procedures which are critical to customer service, overall service delivery and public safety. The duties and responsibilities of this position include:
• Providing management and leadership of a group of plan reviewers and inspectors.
• Acting as the “Deputy” Building Official, in the absence of the Building Official, including administration of the State mandated (USBC), including assisting the Building Official with complex code and design issues, code interpretations, code modification requests, training, technical support and plans review workflow coordination.
• Assuming the responsibilities of the Division Manager, in his/her absence.
• Ensuring approximately 14,000 sets of plans per year are properly assigned and properly reviewed for code compliance in a timely manner.
• Meeting with and advising architects, engineers, developers, and other customers as the code authority on their submitted projects.
• Effectively communicating with all Loudoun County Board of Supervisors members; Department Heads; Attorneys; State officials; developers; architects; engineers; staff; and customers.
• Serving as point of contact with other Departments related to reviews of; solar exemptions; wineries, breweries, and non-exempt farm structures; Occupancy and Temporary Occupancies; Day care and long-term care approvals.
• Acting as Liaison with the Business Assistance Team; Economic Development; the Regional Collaboration team; Local Towns and The Department’s permit issuance/customer service staff.
• Creating, maintaining, and reporting records of fees, inspections, revenues, and permits for workload analysis and budget considerations. Assisting in establishing the annual fee schedule.
• Serving as backup for responding to FOIA and LeX (Loudoun’s customer inquiry/complaint system) submissions.
The ideal candidate will be organized, team oriented, exhibit a high level of integrity, self-motivation, leadership skills and interpersonal skills, including establishing and maintaining relationships with fellow employees, County officials, contractors, and the public. The ideal candidate should exhibit the ability to solve problems and resolve conflicts collaboratively, with minimal supervision. This candidate should have a working knowledge of policies and regulations (local, state, and federal) surrounding building code enforcement. The successful candidate will also excel in areas such as communication, continuous learning, customer-focused service, dependability, flexibility, interpersonal skills, leadership, planning and organization, reasoning and problem solving, and teamwork.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Management, or construction related field; three (3) years of code enforcement management or other complex project management experience along with one (1) year of supervisory experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Hiring salary commensurate with experience
Must obtain and maintain state certification as a Commercial Plans Examiner by the State Board of Housing and Community Development within six (6) months, and obtain and maintain certification as a Building Code Official within 18 months of hire. Must take County required supervisory training within one (1) year of hire.
Pass criminal, credit and DMV background checks. Must maintain driver's license and good driving record.