|Date Opened||7/19/2023 08:00:00 AM|
|Closing Date||10/15/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Department||BUILDING & DEVELOPMENT|
|Job Type||Open and Competitive|
Loudoun County, Virginia, one of the fastest-growing counties in the nation, is currently seeking applicants for the Land Development Ombudsman, a unique and key position within the Department of Building and Development. Loudoun County is a large community in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area with diverse planning challenges and opportunities, from the development of transit-oriented urban neighborhoods around planned Metrorail stations, to identifying and developing infill developments, to maintaining the vibrant rural western portion of the County that is based in land conservation and agritourism. This provides for a fast-paced, high-energy work environment. The Department of Building and Development prides itself on providing an atmosphere where work-life balance and professional development are respected and encouraged.
This position operates from within the Land Development Planning Division which has four main responsibilities: Providing technical review and oversight of land development applications, managing bonds, maintaining land development records, and providing exemplary customer service.
Primary responsibilities of the Land Development Ombudsman include:
• Supervising, leading, and supporting a staff of three (3) entry-level planning technicians, fostering professional development.
• Overseeing day-to-day operations and services provided at the Land Development front counter, including but not limited to intake, tracking, and the set-up of Land Development Applications; provides exemplary, efficient, courteous, and timely customer service to internal and external customers.
• Acting as the Custodian of Records for the Department of Building and Development.
• Managing FOIA requests.
• Maintaining a well-organized environment for handling customer service inquiries.
• Building, maintaining, and coordinating relationships across Department, Division, and other County Departments.
• Providing critical information regarding customer service to the Division Manager, Department Directors, and County Administration.
• Communicating and meeting with stakeholders regarding development issues.
• Developing job tools for enhanced efficiency for the delivery of timely and accurate information to customers.
• Collecting and analyzing data to identify trends for areas of improvement of processes to meet the needs of the organization and customers, using creative problem-solving.
• Researching complex customer inquiries utilizing various County resources, while also delegating customer inquiries to appropriate staff members.
• Responding to citizen and professional inquiries; providing technical information on zoning and land development.
Primarily, the successful candidate for this position must be able to demonstrate superior verbal and written skills as explaining and navigating an intricate land development environment to citizens, as well as to internal staff, is central to this role. They must be able to teach, coach, and supervise planning technicians in their roles as well. In addition, strong customer service skills such as de-escalation, active listening and empathy are preferred. We will be looking for a person who can solve problems creatively, establish and maintain critical relationships with external and internal stakeholders, and who has a thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, and methodologies of the planning profession.
Bachelor’s degree in Planning or a related field; four (4) years of related work experience with one (1) year in a supervisory role; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Hiring salary commensurate with experience.
Must be available for occasional meetings after business hours with members of the public and/or elected officials.
Pass criminal and credit background checks.