The Loudoun County Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure is seeking a self-motivated Senior Traffic Engineer within the department's Transportation Planning Program.
This position will:
- Oversee the Traffic Data Collection and Warrant Program and supports the land development process through coordinated traffic data collection, review of traffic impact studies and preparation of traffic signal, multi-way stop, pedestrian crosswalk and other related warrant analysis.
- Be specifically responsible for managing internal and consultant resources engaged in the collection of traffic data to be used by the County for various purposes, preparing various types of warrant and other transportation analyses, overseeing the County's traffic study scoping process for land development applications and County projects, and providing technical review of traffic studies and other technical transportation analyses.
- Work closely with traffic data collection firms, transportation consultants, the development community, County and VDOT staff at various position levels, citizens and community leaders, as well as be required to attend and provide presentations at public and other community meetings.
The successful candidate will:
- Have the ability to make sound engineering recommendations and provide technical engineering review of traffic studies and other technical transportation analyses to ensure that analyses are completed correctly and per applicable standards.
- Possess strong project management skills, leadership qualities, and technical knowledge in traffic engineering with a proven track record of successfully working with various stakeholders.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Have the ability to provide prompt, effective and courteous customer service, conduct thorough research, work independently; and manage multiple time-sensitive projects/tasks.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Bachelor's degree with engineering coursework or degree related to assigned area; three (3) years of professional engineering work experience of a complex nature with design as well as administrative experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required skills include:
- Experience in successfully managing traffic engineering projects independently and addressing traffic safety and operational analysis.
- Knowledge of the current federal and state regulations, guidelines, design standards and specifications, such as the MUTCD, AASHTO, VDOT Traffic Engineering Design Manual and Virginia Supplement to the MUTCD.
- Knowledge of VDOT's Traffic Operations and Safety Analysis Manual (TOSAM), VDOT Signal Justification Report (SJR) Process, and VDOT's Junction Screening Tool (VJuST).
- Ability to articulate technical information orally and in writing to lay and technical audiences.
- Experience working with the public, elected officials, and diverse staff in various position levels.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook is required.
- Experience with HCS, Synchro, VISSIM, CAD, GIS and/or Adobe Illustrator is a plus.
This position requires occasional attendance at evening/night meetings, as well as a valid driver's license.
PE license is preferred.
Post Conditional Offer Contingencies
Successful completion of a criminal background check, to include a driving record check.