Loudoun County Parks, Recreation and Community Services (PRCS) is a team of talented professionals, driven by results and customer relationships, and committed to excellence. The effective delivery of programs and community services can provide social, personal, economic, and environmental benefits to last a lifetime. Be a part of something that matters!
The Department of Parks, Recreation & Community Services is currently seeking qualified candidates for a Turf and Horticulture Technician.
The Turf and Horticulture Technician is a member of the Outdoor Maintenance Division and performs skilled turf and horticultural work at county municipal facilities, individually and as part of a team. The Maintenance Division provides support to multiple areas within the department such as mowing, ballfield maintenance, equipment repairs, facility maintenance, emergency response, special event support, and special projects. The Turf and Horticulture Technician is primarily responsible for tasks associated with the routine application of pesticides and fertilizers as required.
• Fertilizer and pesticide application.
• Complex pruning, installation, and watering of high-value plantings.
• Performs cultural practices on turf including but not limited to overseeding, topdressing, aeration, verticutting, fraise mowing.
• Adheres to the maintenance schedule for vehicles, equipment, and fields.
• Keeps supervisor informed of site work activity and project progress
• Completes monthly inventory of supplies; submits a list of purchasing needs; and ensures safe and organized storage of materials and supplies.
• Provides setup for special events and tournaments.
• Snow removal during the winter months at various sites throughout assigned areas
• May perform other essential job functions specific to the position and department
• Attend yearly training and education to maintain certifications
The incumbent often works independently, producing high volumes of potentially hazardous work at busy facilities with customers present. Frequent decisions about balancing safety, efficiency, and site-program impacts are made daily, based on the overall schedule and program goals.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Perform fertilizer and pesticide application programs in accordance with State and Federal laws
• Perform specialized tasks including mechanical weed control, pruning, watering, fertilization, and planting
• Manage materials, supplies, and equipment
• Create and maintain records mandated for compliance and program history
• Operate and maintain vehicles, machinery, and tools.
Loudoun County Regular Full-time Employees are eligible for full benefits including but not limited to the following as a part of a total rewards package!
• Retirement from the Virginia Retirement System (VRS)
• Annual leave
• Sick leave
• Annual Paid Holidays (13)
• Group Health Plan
• Group Life Insurance
• Exceptional Performance Recognition
• Credit Union Membership
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Education and Career Development
• Uniform and Safety Boot Allowance