The successful candidate will be a key part of the Zoning Administration Team in the Department of Planning and Zoning. The Department is focused on providing high quality customer service and offers unique opportunities to gain in-depth and diverse experience in the planning profession, to include:
- Implementing a new county-wide comprehensive plan; the review and processing of a variety of land development applications
- Creation of a new Zoning Ordinance that is clear, user friendly and successfully implements the County's updated land use policies and provides solutions to a broad range of complex land use issues
- Streamlining the County's legislative review processes.
As a member of the Zoning Administration team, you will work closely with applicants, the Planning Commission, the Board of Supervisors, the Board of Zoning Appeals, the Zoning Ordinance Action Group, and staff from a variety of County agencies, and the public. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Providing support to major economic development projects
- Working with potential clients to understand the Zoning Ordinance
- Reviewing a variety of land development applications for zoning conformance
- Researching and preparing zoning determination letters
- Processing variance and appeal applications
- Serving as project manager in the preparation and processing of Zoning Ordinance amendments, participating in other special projects, and assisting other staff with the preparation and review of work products.
The successful candidate must be customer service focused and exhibit excellent writing, presentation and analytical skills; facilitation and problem solving skills; the ability to communicate effectively with staff, applicants, the public, as well as elected and appointed officials; the ability to meet deadlines and maintain product quality while managing multiple assignments. The successful candidate should have a minimum combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in Planning or related field (e.g. Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Economic Development, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Architecture, or Engineering) and five years of professional planning and/or zoning experience. Preference will be given for membership in the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) and for being a Certified Zoning Administrator (CZA) through the Virginia Association of Zoning Officials (VAZO). Knowledge of planning and land use in Virginia is also desirable.
Attendance at night meetings will be expected.
Post Conditional Offer Contingencies
The position requires a valid driver's license, driving record check, and background/credit check.