Do you want to make a difference in one of the fastest-growing counties in the United States? Can you work as part of a team, with inspiration, vision and creativity? Are you passionate about the role of technology in supporting the mission of local government?
Loudoun County's Department of Information Technology is currently seeking a Network Engineer in the Infrastructure and Network Services Division. This position will:
- Serve as engineer in support of the County network provide the highest level of customer service
- Perform technical tasks related to planning, design, maintenance, troubleshooting, issue resolution, additions and upgrades to the network, including; LAN, WAN, VoIP, Internet, Wireless and data network
- Act as a mid-level engineer, providing support to and working with other Network Engineers
- Support and/or lead the implementation of projects related to the County Network and associated systems
- Respond to customer requests in the time frame and manner defined by the supervisor - perceive, identify, and recommend solutions to customer related issues
- Identify and escalate situations requiring urgent attention
- Coordinate acquisition of equipment and track inventory and projects in support of the data network
- Provide oversight for the installation, inspection, maintenance and repair of all County networks, accessories, and other equipment
- Assist with policies and procedures and with preventative maintenance activities on all associated equipment
- Coordinate and/or lead tactical and strategic planning efforts for all customer network related needs including integration and automation of network gear and services
- Provide regular reports on communications/network systems performance and maintain documentation related to network configuration, design, repairs, requests, actions taken and root cause analysis
- Make technical recommendations associated with data networks and associated systems
We are seeking an individual with the following:
- Ability to strategically plan the engineering requirements for systems and associated equipment
- Creative and strategic approaches to problem solving, and an ability to tackle complex issues
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
- Familiarity with Internet, LAN, WAN, VoIP, VPN and data network routing protocols
- Complete understanding of networking technologies at layers 1-4 of the OSI model, including experience with cabling and collaboration with telecommunications vendors.
Requires education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree with major coursework in computer science or related field and two years of professional experience in networking/information technology
Extreme or Avaya network related training, or certifications preferred. Ability to work in all outdoor conditions (temperature and weather conditions). Will participate in on-call rotation and is subject to recall 24/7 to provide critical system support. The Network Engineer is considered essential personnel.
Additional certifications preferred by Department include:
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library Foundation certification (ITIL)
- Project Management Professional certification (PMP)
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
Preferred experience with Innotas/Planview software and Leankit tools, other project and portfolio management software, SharePoint, Teams, ServiceNow software. Local government experience preferred.
Post Conditional Offer Contingencies
The successful candidate will undergo an extensive background/credit check, fingerprinting, and DMV check.