Are you passionate about making a difference in the lives of at-risk and detained youth? We have a career opportunity for you at the Loudoun County Juvenile Detention Center! Loudoun County is recognized as one of the fastest growing counties in the United States, known for its excellent quality of life and strong economy, while embracing its historic presence. Located approximately 40 miles west of Washington DC, Loudoun County offers a diverse blend of cultural, recreational and educational opportunities.
The Loudoun County Juvenile Court Service Unit is seeking a qualified Youth Services Specialist II at the Juvenile Detention Center. The Juvenile Detention Center is a 24/7 secure facility for court-involved males and females, ages 11-17, located in Leesburg, VA. Youth Services Specialists are responsible for the welfare, safety, and security of youth.
Typical Youth Services Specialist expectations:
- Supervise youth in all daily activities, such as: recreational, educational, group hygiene, meals, visitation, life skills and spiritual services.
- Manage youths' behavior by the least restrictive means, utilizing coaching and conflict resolution skills to teach and promote pro-social behavior among the youth.
- Counsel, discipline and physically restrain youth as needed.
- Transport youth.
- Plan, prepare and facilitate age appropriate activities and psycho-educational groups to promote self-growth and stimulate youth's interest.
- Mentor youth.
- Complete reports, daily logs and behavior court report.
- Administer medication.
- Operate control room.
- Conduct inspections, security checks and searches.
- May be requested to provide support to other programs within Department.
- Additional activities may be assigned as needed.
- Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in Psychology, Social Work, Criminal Justice or related field and two (2) years of experience in a criminal justice field, education/recreation or a residential/correctional setting.
- Valid driver's license
- Must be able to successfully complete First Aid, CPR for adults and Handle with Care (physical intervention) within 30 days of hire.
- Must be able to successfully complete training in medication management in accordance with State of Virginia guidelines within first year of employment.
- Must update certifications as needed.
- Position is considered essential and requires reporting to work in inclement weather or other states of emergency and or as required by Director.
- Must be able to work all shifts as assigned, rotating schedules that includes days, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Must have the ability to use automated technology and be able to operate keyboard driven equipment.
- May be subject to various forms of communicable disease.
- Requires occasional stooping, bending, and /or light lifting.
- Bilingual English and Spanish preferred.
Post Conditional Offer Contingencies
Employment is contingent on the satisfactory results of a pre-employment background check to include: fingerprinting, physical exam, drug screening, TB test, Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) record check and Child Protective Services (CPS) check, as required by federal and state standards applicable to the facility.
Loudoun County Regular Full-time Employees are eligible for full benefits including but not limited to the following as a part of a total rewards package!
- Retirement from the Virginia Retirement System (VRS)
- Annual leave
- Sick leave
- Annual Paid Holidays
- Group Health Plan
- Group Life Insurance
- Exceptional Performance Recognition
- Credit Union Membership
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Education and Career Developmen