Loudoun County, Virginia, is located approximately 35 miles outside Washington, DC. Loudoun County plays a key role in the Northern Virginia region and participates in regional undertakings including those related to transportation/transit and road infrastructure, parks, mental health, public safety, and economic development. Recognized as one of the fastest growing counties in the entire United States, Loudoun boasts a thrilling and diverse local economy that will continue to expand as the Metrorail Silver Line opens three new stations within the County over the next four years.
Loudoun County's Department of General Services is seeking a highly motivated, customer service driven candidate to fill this senior level position, as the Assistant Department Director, Public Works & Environmental Services. The successful candidate will provide critical department leadership supporting the Director and overseeing the operational areas of the Public Works, Energy, Water, and Environmental Programs. This position acts in the Director's absence on all matters including personnel, budget, procurement, and interaction with all facets of County government including County Administration, Board of Supervisors, and State and Federal agencies. The successful candidate will be able to perform the following:
- Effectively lead and participate as County liaison to various committees, work groups, and organizations handling complex policy issues
- Oversee the activities of the Stormwater Management Program
- Lead the continued development and execution of the County's Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) stormwater discharge permit
- Oversee the County’s Water/Waste Water Program
- Oversee the County’s Public Works Program (sign shop, stormwater maintenance, snow removal)
- Lead and execute the County's Asphalt Management Program
- Provide leadership to ensure the department's goals are consistent with the priorities and objectives of the County Administration and Board of Supervisors
- Mentor mid-level managers
Loudoun County Regular Full-time Employees are eligible for full benefits including but not limited to the following as a part of a total rewards package!
- Retirement from the Virginia Retirement System (VRS)
- Annual leave
- Sick leave
- Annual Paid Holidays
- Group Health Plan
- Group Life Insurance
- Exceptional Performance Recognition
- Credit Union Membership
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Education and Career Development
- Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Master's degree in engineering or related field
- Seven (7) years of directly related experience in a professional management position, with extensive public works, energy management, stormwater, and emergency management responsibility
- Considerable supervisory or operations/administrative oversight
Valid driver's license is required. Subject to on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The incumbent alternates with the Department Director in providing senior General Services presence in the County's Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during emergencies arising from natural or man-made disasters.
Post Conditional Offer Contingencies
Successful candidate will undergo credit and criminal background checks to include fingerprinting and DMV record check.