About Loudoun County: Loudoun County Fire and Rescue (LCFR) is a combination career/volunteer organization comprised of approximately 600 employees and 800+ active operational and administrative volunteers. The Department is a growing organization that serves a large and diverse population located 30 miles northwest of Washington, DC. We provide a full range of emergency and non-emergency services to approximately 400,000 citizens within a 520 square mile area. Additional information about the Department can be found at www.loudoun.gov/fire. We seek to hire a highly motivated, effective, and diverse workforce to meet the needs of the County’s citizens and visitors and support the Department’s core values of Teamwork, Integrity, Professionalism, and Service. Loudoun County offers a meaningful career, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package. Additional information can be found at www.loudoun.gov/benefits.
Loudoun County Fire and Rescue is seeking qualified applicants for a regular, full-time Human Resources Specialist. Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Support the HR Manager of the department with Employee Relations-related work; manage and deliver training to employees on topics that are performance-management related; consults on employee relations matters with managers including disciplinary policy and process; ensures disciplinary situations are addressed according to policy; consults with managers on administration of ADA, FMLA, and LWOP; provides advice on performance management situations; assists with application of tools and resources available to address performance issues; provides performance direction, feedback, mentoring, coaching to staff; assists HR Manager with developing program policies, procedures and section budget; submits reports and data for quarterly performance measures; assists with answering questions about recruitments, benefits, learning, and HR programs; perform independently in the absence of the HR manager; maintains confidentiality of sensitive information at all times.
The successful candidate will have strong knowledge of:
- HR Employee Relations processes and best practices
- Performance assessment and performance management processes and best practices
- Communicate professionally and demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
- Maintain composure under pressure; • Independently prioritize and plan assigned tasks
- Ability to respond rapidly and positively to changing demands and priorities
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and at all levels of the organization
- Communicate proactively with manager and respond to requests from staff in a positive and professional manner
- Work collaboratively and positively with other departments
- Understand and comply with oral and written instructions
- Communicate and present ideas clearly and effectively orally and in writing
Skilled in the following areas:
- Balancing and managing competing priorities
- Proficiency with MS products (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and HRIS software
Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree and two years of directly related experience. Prefer experience in employee relations/performance management in a government agency and PHR or SHRM-CP certification.
Post Conditional Offer Contingencies
Selection process will be comprehensive and will include of application review, panel interview, a final interview, and a comprehensive background check to include criminal record check, credit check, DMV and fingerprinting. May require occasional stooping, bending, and/or light lifting.