( Emergency Dispatch Communications Employees Only)
|Date Opened||12/2/2019 09:23:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||12/9/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$40,414.40 - $69,201.60/year|
|Job Type||Internal Only|
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED certificate; AND
Two years of experience as a Telecommunicator or Radio Dispatcher in Hillsborough County
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted below.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Working knowledge of the communication center standard operating procedures, regulations and 911 system.
- Working knowledge of Agency policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Working knowledge of effective communication techniques.
- Working knowledge of digital and audio communications equipment operation.
- Working knowledge of computerized mapping systems and related software use and application.
- Working knowledge of law enforcement, emergency medical or fire terminology.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations in a calm and controlled manner.
- Ability to accurately assess emergency information and make correct decisions.
- Ability to operate a multi-line or computerized telephone, digital, audio or radio communications equipment.
- Ability to train and oversee the work performed by subordinate staff.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to follow oral and written instruction.
- Ability to locate offices, agencies or individuals promptly through directories or other information sources.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to follow established procedures.
- Ability to accurately sort, file, and retrieve material using alphabetical, numerical or chronological systems.
- Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts including nights, weekends and holidays.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Receives 911 and non-emergency calls, quickly and calmly assesses the situation, enters information into the Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system for agency dispatch and/ or redirects them to specific or alternate emergency responding agencies or departments.
- Connects conference calls involving two or more parties to render timely emergency assistance.
- Dispatches emergency response personnel using digital and/or analog voice communications equipment, and/or an emergency computer dispatch system.
- Creates reports to identify incorrect location information received through the Automatic Location Information system, in order to initiate corrective actions.
- Pinpoints the location of emergency/non-emergency calls initiated from land lines or cellular phones using a Global Positioning System (GPS).
- Types memoranda and reports, and duplicates or edits emergency call recordings, in response to court subpoenas and public records requests.
- Maintains records and reports, including shift reports and operational logs.
- Initiates emergency call-backs to obtain additional information or to follow-up on disconnected calls.
- Provides guidance, training and oversees the work performed by subordinate staff.
- May be required to research local, state and federal databases, when information dictates or when requested, to verify outstanding warrants, location history information and other information, and provides the information to emergency response personnel prior to arriving at the emergency location.
- May be required to perform duties at temporary emergency command centers and locations during periods of local, state and national emergencies.
- May be required to become familiar with the physical layout of Hillsborough County.
- May be required to testify in court in order to provide an accurate account of information received from emergency/non-emergency calls for assistance.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
SPECIAL PROBATIONARY NOTE
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*