Program Coordinator (Recycling/Waste Reduction Specialist)
|Date Opened||12/3/2019 6:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/31/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$39,873.60 - $63,793.60/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with a degree in environmental studies, environmental science, public administration, business administration, sustainability, or a related field;
- One year of experience directly related to solid waste management, recycling, environmental programs, public administration, urban planning, or work of a similar nature.
- A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university graduate program in environmental studies, environmental science, public administration, business administration, sustainability, or a related field may be substituted for the minimum one year of experience.
- The employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- This position is primarily sedentary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Develops, organizes, and implements education and outreach initiatives to inform the public about solid waste programs.
- Assists with enforcement of solid waste ordinances to ensure compliance by residents and businesses.
- Frequently participates in presentations and special events on weekends, nights, and non-regular hours.
- Provide presentations to and routinely engage with members of the public, community groups, Homeowner’s Associations, schools, and businesses to promote recycling, waste reduction, and utilization of solid waste services.
- Plans, develops, organizes and evaluates work processes to ensure the efficient delivery of program services and fulfill program objectives.
- Performs data analysis in order to identify trends, develop reports, and provide recommendations on policy decisions.
- Reviews existing policies, procedures, and directives and recommends changes where necessary.
- Interprets/explains policies, processes, applicable laws, rules, regulations, and guidelines specific to an assigned program to resolve problems, answers program questions, and provides information to current and potential program participants.
- Coordinates action where several organizational entities are involved and follows up to ensure that all details and program requirements are met.
- Reviews program operations for compliance, identifies program strengths and weaknesses and areas of non-compliance, and recommends corrective action.
- Instructs individuals and groups on proper methods and procedures for compliance with program regulations.
- Writes or revises program summary reports, public education pieces, and develops public communication strategies.
- Resolves problems encountered during daily operations and determines appropriate solutions.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge of the specific functions, activities, and services provided by the assigned programs and projects.
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations governing municipal solid waste management, recycling, and household hazardous waste.
- Knowledge of organizational methods and procedures relating to the effective coordination and administration of public environmental education and outreach initiatives.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and manage assigned tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to evaluate customer information to determine course of action
- Ability to prioritize work.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and established procedures.
- Ability to organize programs, projects and special events.
- Ability to monitor, oversee and provide guidance to volunteers, assigned staff, clients and customers.
- Ability to maintain files and records and prepare reports and correspondence.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to organize and to multi-task.
- Ability to frequently speak publicly in front of diverse audiences.
- Provides customer service support or related duties when required by the Office of Emergency Management.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*