Manager Public Safety 911
|Date Opened||6/13/2019 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/10/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$80,184.00 - $128,294.40/year|
- Five years full time progressively responsible experience in the public safety or communications management field to include design, project management and day-to-day operational management. Experience must include two years of supervisory experience is required.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution in computer science, public administration, public safety or other closely related field is desirable.
- Experience managing a Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) or public safety technology. Knowledge of federal and state laws governing 911 is preferred.
- Emergency Number Professional (ENP) Certification from the National Emergency Number Association (NENA) is preferred.
- Valid driver's license (Class E) is required.
Critical Thinking: Identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems that are complex, varied and rarely related to those seen before. Determine “root cause” through substantial individual effort and consultation with other technical resources. Exhibit high degree of analytical ability and inductive thinking. Develop new and nonstandard approaches.
Decision Making: Ability to make strong analytic decisions, including situations with ambiguity and/or uncertainty; Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment. Independent judgment is required to recommend departmental or County objectives, evaluate new approaches to problem solving, and assess changing facts or conditions.
Communication: Exceptional communication skills – written and verbal; Excellent active listening skills; Ability to work effectively and comfortably with all levels of the organization. Ability to produce clear, precise, well-designed communications in a variety of media, including print, electronic and visual formats. Experience with web-based communication tools and webpage design is of benefit.
Strategic Planning: Demonstrates considerable initiative and exercise sound judgment in making conclusive recommendations based on business needs. Ability to assemble project plans and teamwork assignments, direct and monitor work efforts on a daily basis, identify resource needs, perform quality review; and escalate functional, quality and time-line issues appropriately.
Leadership: Demonstrates concern for excellence and organizational awareness. Motivate others to succeed and deliver excellent customer service. Be innovative. Establish and grow effective working relationships and build trust. Influence others to move towards a common goal. Coordinate the activities or tasks of people and/or groups. Builds trust across all levels of organization and senior leadership.
Managerial/Operational Skills: Set strategies, policies, procedures, standards and practices. Provide ongoing and constructive feedback to others. Ability to communicate organizational and departmental vision to others. Expertise in coordinating with technology professionals. Manage multiple functions, engaging internal and external stakeholders, with full accountability for effective operation and results.
Analytical Ability: Must be able to visualize, articulate, conceptualize and/or solve both complex and uncomplicated problems, many times solving multiple problems simultaneously, with limited information.
Managing Complexity: Must be able to manage multiple extremely complex situations/problems simultaneously during emergency situations while maintaining a calm demeanor. Must be able to communicate complex ideas and proposals effectively.
Other: The candidate selected for the position must be able to pass the background checks to include but not limited to Criminal History Background Check using Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as the statutorily required 911 Coordinator for the County, serving as the single-point-of-contact between the County and the State of Florida Department of Management Services regarding E911 fiscal, technical, operational, and strategic planning issues. Performs at an enterprise level for strategy and vision development and adherence to ensure Hillsborough County maintains optimal operational efficiency across all Public Safety Answering Points (PSAP).
- Ensures maintenance and functionality of the County’s E911 system 24 x 7 x 365. Evaluates systems data and voice circuits regularly to confirm sufficient network to adequately handle both wire line and wireless calls during any busy hour.
- Responsible for day-to-day management and maintenance of the 911 database. Works cooperatively with wireless service providers to conduct regular scheduled testing to ensure compliance with federal and state requirements when new sites are added or altered.
- Maintains current escalation list of contact information for all vendors, circuit repairs, maintenance personnel, normal and after-hour telephone numbers. Ensures all County PSAPs have current escalation procedures and information for initial mitigation of unplanned events.
- Works with vendors, clients, and other technical staff to resolve technical issues related to vendor-specific supported infrastructure. Good working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Master Street Address Guide (MSAG). Performs spot checks of County PSAPs, reporting conditions and supply assistance where practical.
- Works closely with Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) managers, supervisors, and call takers to develop appropriate Standards Operating Procedures. Procedures will include, at a minimum; Americans with Disabilities (ADA) compliance; emergency backup plans in case of loss of 911 functionality; provision of situational awareness on significant public safety / public health issues.
- Monitors PSAPs call volume data and takes appropriate action to ensure technical standards in the E911 State Plan are met. Ensures PSAPs are in compliance with the State E911 Plan for record retention requirements. Ensures PSAP trouble reports are quickly resolved. Requests the latest wireless services for PSAPs capable of receiving and using the service.
- Directs and supervises staff and coordinates quarterly PSAP managers’ meetings. Promotes E911 Public Education campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*