Field Operations Supervisor (Mosquito Management)
|Date Opened||12/21/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Salary||$32,843.20 - $52,561.60/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Two years of experience as a supervisor of a construction, maintenance or landscaping crew; and
A valid Driver License or Commercial Driver License (CDL).
An equivalent combination of education (Not less than a high school diploma/GED,) training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted above; and
A valid Driver License or Commercial Driver License (CDL).
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- In the performance of the job duties, the employee will work in a variety of outdoor/indoor environments including construction sites roadway maintenance, maintenance shops and natural resource areas.
- This position will work in all types of weather conditions and environments including but not limited to possible high, precarious places and is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, and vibration. The noise level in the environment is quiet to loud.
- The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk, hear; and smell.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below:
- Supervises the work of one or more crews engaged in mosquito management operations.
- Effectively interact and communicate with the public and staff. Communicate detailed reports and observations. Follows detailed verbal instructions. Ability to read and understand instructions.
- Proficient in computer operation, file management and directory structure. Perform data entry functions and keeps detailed, accurate records. Skilled in MS Windows operating system, MS Office software and a variety of GIS/GPS programs. Ability to learn new programs.
- Make detailed field observations and give detailed written and verbal descriptions of findings.
- Provides training, guidance, and assistance to subordinates.
- Helps resolve job related problems; and reviews work for compliance with applicable mosquito Federal, State, and County laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of the life cycle of mosquitoes and control methods used and the ability to identify typically encountered mosquito larvae and adults to species.
- Requisitions necessary tools, supplies, materials, and equipment needed for job completion.
- Maintains operational records and prepares special and routine reports.
- Make detailed field observations and give detailed written and verbal descriptions of findings. Generate and maintain accurate records.
- Conducts inspections of properties to determine mosquito breeding areas and identify types of larvae.
- Notifies owners or occupants of survey findings.
- Operates vehicle and mounted spray equipment and applies larvicide and adulticide to mosquito breeding areas.
- Enforces the observance of safety regulations pertaining to tools, machinery, vehicles, work areas, and equipment utilized.
- Operates equipment.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Ability to plan, organize, directly supervise, delegate responsibilities, motivate, evaluate, and complete performance management for subordinates.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, organizations and the public.
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to make sound decisions quickly under stressful conditions.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally, non-verbally, and in writing.
- Ability to use office software such as Excel, Word, Power Point, and GIS software such as MapInfo or ArcGIS.
- Ability to work evenings, night shifts including week-ends and holidays.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in a subtropical climate under adverse weather conditions and high noise levels.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Some knowledge of applicable mosquito Federal, State, and County laws and regulations.
- Some knowledge of mosquito breeding habitats, sampling and collection methods.
- Some knowledge of adult and larvae specimen identification.
- Some knowledge of mosquito management operational methods, materials, and equipment.
- Ability to conduct arbovirus investigations in conformance with legal requirements and procedures.
- Working knowledge of equipment used to manage both larval and adult mosquitoes.
- Working knowledge of Units of Measurement (i.e. liquids, solids and acreage).
- Skill in the operation, calibration, and maintenance of spray equipment.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SOME POSITIONS
- Possession of a State of Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Public Health Pest Control License.
- Possession of a State of Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Public Applicator License in Aquatic Pest Control.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.