Therapeutic Recreation Specialist
|Date Opened||9/14/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/19/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$38,001.60 - $61,568.00/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Graduation from an accredited four year degree granting college or university with a Bachelors Degree Social or Health Services related field - Or an Associates Degree in a related field plus 2 years of experience in creating and teaching the facilitation of therapies appropriate for a person with Alzheimer's disease or related dementia
- Possession of a valid Driver License.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- The job may be performed either in indoor or outdoor environments
- Depending on the requirements of the position, the job duties require an employee to bend, reach, stoop, stand and/or walk for extended periods and lift up to 40 pounds.
- The job may require employee to work non-standard hours to participate in department special events, occasional marketing or outreach efforts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Develops, plans, organizes, directs, and evaluates Senior programs and activities for older adults, active seniors, person with Alzheimer's disease and related dementia.
- Contributes to and shares in staff conferences, staff development and in-service training programs, and other procedures designed to improve service to program participants.
- Assists in the preparation and implementation of educational program for active seniors and department staff.
- Supervises employees and volunteers assigned to assist with the program.
- Maintains records of client records, program and event evaluation, and equipment inventory.
- Reviews and makes recommendations for the acquisition of equipment and operating program supplies.
- Serves as liaison between the unit or program and other public and private agencies serving the program clients.
- Oversees and coordinates maintenance of assigned facility to ensure public safety.
- Participates in the selection and hiring of new employees.
- Responsible for reviewing assigned sites senior citizen activity calendar.
- Develops and introduces innovative programs department wide that incorporate the seven dimensions of wellness.
- Responsible for forming new relationships with businesses and non-profit groups in compliance with county policy.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge of the theories, techniques and practices of recreational, active senior and dementia specific activities.
- Knowledge of applicable departmental and safety policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of music, arts, drama, dance, and other therapeutic activities.
- Ability to create and develop programs centered on the Seven Dimension of Wellness.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to formulate action plans, identify needs, and arranges for, and obtains resources needed to accomplish goals and objectives. Develops and uses tracking systems for monitoring own work progress. Effectively uses resources such as time and information.
- Ability to present and express ideas and information clearly and concisely in a manner appropriate to the audience, whether oral or written.
- Ability to actively listen and problem solve in a hectic environment
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task.
- Ability to administer CPR and First Aide as necessary.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Skill in the use of various office equipment.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*