(Senior) Media Relations Strategist
|Date Opened||8/10/2018 2:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/3/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$57,012.80 - $91,790.40/year|
|Department||Communications & Digital Media Svcs|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
A Bachelor's degree:
Five years of experience planning, implementing, or managing media relations, public relations, community relations, marketing, integrated communications programs. Media management or crisis communications response.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job specific competencies.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- This position takes place in an office environment.
- Requires sitting for an extended period of time.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Steady and analytical editorial judgment.
- Ability to thrive under tight deadlines and utilize poise and tact during difficult situations.
- Ability to motivate and provide guidance to teammates.
- Knowledge of local, regional, and national current events/trends.
- Knowledge of how media outlets function internally, and how media interacts with government.
- Strong media relations plan development and execution.
- Strong crisis management skills.
- Strong copywriting, editorial, and fact finding skills.
- Working knowledge of technology and trends for communications.
- Ability to research and target influencers and key audiences.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public relations/media relations strategy development and how it relates to positive public/media relations.
- Knowledge of writing and editing press releases, positioning stories, pitches, articles and other communications materials.
- Knowledge of photography and an understanding of visual standards, and working knowledge of storytelling through photos and the applications of visual standards.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Public Relations profession Code of Ethics.
- Knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and proofreading.
- Knowledge and understanding of social media platforms and target audiences.
- Thorough understanding of the local media market.
- Skill to create content for public relations collateral including brand journalism content.
- Strong copywriting and editorial skills.
- Ability to engage a diverse team of professional employees, and partners in developing goals, executing plans, and delivering results.
- Ability to mobilize teams, building momentum to get things done by communicating clearly and consistently.
- Ability to use negotiation skills and adaptability to encourage recognition of joint concerns, collaboration, and to influence the success of outcomes.
- Ability to manage content and program development end-to-end providing direction, working integrated across departments and within the Communications & Digital Media team.
- Ability to handle extremely delicate/sensitive relationships and complex situations, information, and materials.
- Ability to use considerable initiative, think independently, and exercise sound judgment in order to protect the County’s reputation.
- Ability to assist in writing and editing press releases, pitches and articles.
- Ability to provide expert counsel on effective public relations strategies to produce effective outcomes.
- Ability to think strategically in order to develop and execute public relations programs and provide counsel to client departments on the best way to communicate information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with others within and outside own organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing including presentations.
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with others while maintaining a positive, proactive attitude.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*