Fire Inspector I (Current Fire Rescue Employees Only)
|Date Opened||8/7/2018 08:01:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||8/21/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$24.83 - $35.04/hour|
|Job Type||Internal Only|
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate; and
Possession of a valid State of Florida Firefighter’s Certificate of Compliance; and
Possession of a valid State of Florida Municipal Fire Safety Inspector Certification; and
Possession of a valid State of Florida Emergency Medical Technician Certification; and
Possession of a valid Driver License.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Working knowledge of fire prevention laws, codes and ordinances.
- Working knowledge of fire fighting principles and practices and fire prevention inspection techniques.
- Working knowledge of building materials, construction practices and mechanical systems related to fire prevention, fire suppression and the safeguarding of lives and property from fire.
- Ability to enforce fire prevention codes and ordinances firmly, tactfully and impartially.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally, non-verbally, and in writing.
- Ability to maintain combat firefighter readiness status.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to lift and carry weights up to 90 pounds.
- Willingness to work outside in a subtropical climate under adverse weather conditions and high noise levels.
- Willingness to work rotating shifts to include nights, weekends and holidays.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Conducts fire prevention inspections, evaluates existing and potential fire hazards, and enforces compliance with applicable fire codes and statutes.
- Informs property owners, managers or other responsible parties of violations and explains corrections necessary to prevent or remove fire hazards.
- Conducts public information programs to increase public awareness concerning fire prevention.
- Maintains records of scheduled and completed assignments and documents findings.
- Responds to fire alarms for fire suppression, as directed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SOME POSITIONS
Successfully passing the National Testing Network (NTN) administered Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) within the past 12 months or scheduled to take the CPAT within the next 14 days, subject to Department verification; and
Completion of the NTN Fire Team Test within the past 12 months or scheduled to take the NTN Fire Team Test within the next 14 days, subject to Department verification.
This requirement is waived for applicants that are either currently employed by a fire fighting agency or were actively employed by a fire fighting agency within the past twelve months.
SPECIAL PROBATIONARY NOTE
Employees assigned to this classification will serve a one year probationary period.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.