Professional Engineer I
|Date Opened||7/26/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Salary||$56,097.60 - $91,728.00/year depending on qualifications|
|Department||Environmental Protection Commission|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Hillsborough County (County seat of Tampa, FL) is a great place to work! Situated along Florida's Gulf Coast, this region boasts an enviable quality of life with year round sunshine, a unique cultural heritage and a diverse business climate. For both individuals and companies alike, Tampa offers accessibility, affordability and opportunity.
Hillsborough County Government is a great employer looking for new members to join its team who are aligned with the core values of commitment to excellence; stellar customer service; and embracing diversity, transparency, and accountability. Our employees enjoy careers that are professionally and personally rewarding and provide competitive and reasonable compensation.
Hillsborough County Government consists of many independent agencies and thousands of employees. We provide a wide range of municipal services to the citizens of Hillsborough County, including port operations, childrens' education, arts and culture, courts, planning and zoning, public transportation, environmental protection, and employment-related services.
Read below to learn more about this exciting opportunity to join our team.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of the principles and practices for assigned functional area.
- Knowledge of public works and facilities construction project management methods and practices.
- Knowledge of computer modeling and computer aided drafting and mapping software and applications.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of land surveying.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, regulations ordinances, and other professional sources of information pertaining to public infrastructures, building and zoning codes, environmental permitting and real estate.
- Knowledge of field testing, sampling and investigative techniques and procedures.
- Ability to utilize computer applications for engineering modeling, design, drafting, and mapping.
- Ability to manage, train, schedule, assign, monitor, review, and evaluate assigned staff.
- Ability to comprehend and apply engineering, scientific and technical principles and methods to plan, formulate and carry out programs and policies.
- Ability to perform engineering calculations.
- Ability to write technical reports.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Manages or assists in the management of one or more phases of a public works or developer project, or several phases of a smaller project.
- Assists with the management of the capital improvement program (CIP) award and procurement.
- Signs and seals engineering documents.
- Assists with the management of public works or developer project closeout activities.
- Assists in the administration of a public works project.
- Reviews engineering documents, or supervises a small engineering staff that review engineering documents as part of an environmental permitting or compliance program.
- Assists in developing staffing requirements and budgets.
- May supervise the work of professional and technical subordinate staff by scheduling, assigning, and reviewing work; providing training and counseling, and evaluating performance.
- Reviews project pre-design, definition, and scope of services for cost optimization statutory and regulatory compliance and makes recommendations.
- Develops parts of large or all of small scale project goals, objectives, strategies, policies, procedures and budgets.
- Conducts pre-bid/preconstruction conferences, public meetings issues construction notice to proceed and initiates work orders.
- Analyzes reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, tests, and aerial photographs to plan and design projects.
- Prepares or directs preparation and modification of reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, environmental impact studies, and designs for projects.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: The Civil Service Board and its client agencies value the service veterans and their family members have given to our country and support the hiring of returning service members and military spouses. Therefore, special consideration and priority in appointment will be given to veteran preference-eligible applicants (as described in Section 295.07, F.S.) throughout each step of the selection process.
The applicant claiming veterans' preference is responsible for providing required documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference. This documentation may be provided at the time of application submission. Documentation can easily be provided to us electronically through this online application system (preferred), but can also be provided to us by email, fax, or USPS. However, in ALL cases, required documentation must be provided to us prior to the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
Applicants that meet the minimum job requirements and qualify for Veterans’ Preference who believe they have not been afforded employment preference in accordance with applicable Florida law, may file a written complaint requesting an investigation with the Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs, Division of Benefits and Assistance, 9500 Bay Pines Blvd, Room 214, St. Petersburg, Florida 33708. The complaint must be filed within 60 calendar days from the date the applicant receives notice that s/he was not selected. Prior to filing a complaint, however, it is the responsibility of the preference-eligible applicant to contact the employer at least one time after 45 days have passed from the final date for submitting an application or the interview date, whichever is later in time, if the applicant has not received notice of a hiring decision.
For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit the Civil Service Board website by clicking here.
DRUG-FREE WORK PLACE: The employers of Hillsborough County have implemented a drug-free workplace and all offers of employment are conditioned on job applicants successfully passing a drug test.
RESPONSE/RECOVERY ACTIVITIES: Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities.
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Hillsborough County provides equal employment opportunity to all persons, regardless of age, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, political affiliations, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, membership or non-membership in an employee organization, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors.
AMERICANS with DISABILITIES ACT (ADA): Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at email@example.com.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.