Company Fire Captain (Current Fire Rescue Employees Only)
|Date Opened||8/1/2018 08:01:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||8/22/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$25.82 - $35.09/hour|
|Job Type||Internal Only|
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate;
Three years of experience as a Driver/Engineer within the Hillsborough County Fire Rescue Department; and
Possession of a valid State of Florida Fire Fighter's Certificate of Compliance;
Possession a valid Driver's License.
THIS RECRUITMENT IS FOR CURRENT HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY FIRE RESCUE EMPLOYEES ONLY.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, methods, techniques, practices, procedures, equipment and apparatus used in modern fire fighting and in protection of life and property from fire.
- Considerable knowledge of rescue and evacuation principles, procedures, and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of ventilation principles, practices, and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of first-aid principles, practices, and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of ladder principles, practices, and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of principles, practices, and techniques of water supply and hoseline operations.
- Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of overhaul and salvage operations.
- Considerable knowledge of the functions, services, procedures and regulations of the unit to which assigned.
- Considerable knowledge of safe driving techniques for emergency vehicles.
- Considerable knowledge of the Incident Command System.
- Considerable knowledge of roads, streets, hospitals, schools, and other facilities within response area.
- Working knowledge of diseases and emergency medical conditions and appropriate treatment procedures.
- Working knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques of personnel management.
- Working knowledge of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
- Some knowledge of equipment used for patient care such as defibrillators and vital signs monitors.
- Skill in the use and care of hand tools and equipment.
- Ability to assimilate, identify, and analyze fireground conditions to determine type of firefighting problems present and courses of action to initiate.
- Ability to make judgmental decisions when several alternative courses of action are present.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to make sound decisions quickly under stressful conditions.
- Ability to objectively evaluate and document employee performance.
- Ability to effectively supervise others.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to lift and carry weights up to 90 pounds.
- Ability to perform duties under hazardous conditions requiring considerable physical exertion.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally, non-verbally, and in writing.
- Ability and willingness to perform housekeeping activities.
- Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts to include nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in a subtropical climate under adverse weather conditions and high noise levels.
- Ability to maintain combat firefighter readiness status.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Supervises the work of subordinate staff by, assigning and reviewing work, providing training and counseling and evaluating performance.
- Commands a fire company and/or shift: assigns firefighters to duty in quarters; supervises the care and upkeep of quarters and equipment; and maintains discipline to ensure operational readiness.
- Commands resources at the scene of an emergency until the arrival of a superior officer.
- Conducts drills and instructs subordinate personnel in fire and medical methods and techniques and facilitates access to mandated electronic training.
- Prepares and submits activity reports as required.
- Conducts pre-fire planning of public facilities within a designated area to include preparing floor plans and records with key items to facilitate firefighting operations.
- Trains employees on the duties and responsibilities of higher level positions to maintain operational readiness.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
SPECIAL PROBATIONARY NOTE
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*