Animal Care Assistant
|Date Opened||7/11/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/15/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$24,980.80 - $38,729.60/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Possession of a valid Driver License.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below:
- Cleans animal kennels, cages and shelter areas to provide a sanitary and disease free environment.
- Operates pressure cleaning equipment.
- Provides food and water to animals.
- Observes animals for signs of injury, sickness and disease.
- Inspects kennel areas for safety compliance and routine maintenance requirements.
- Assists citizens by locating animals within the shelter area; resolving conflicts; providing information and education regarding Animal Services and animal laws, and ensuring their safety within the shelter.
- Provides other customer service related duties as required.
- Assists in the intake of animals from field officers and citizens including applicable paperwork, data entry and record keeping.
- Assists in assigning animal shelter tags and records, performing inventories of animals and placing animals in a pen or cage.
- Assists in the euthanasia program by escorting animals to designated areas, and transporting deceased animals and waste products to disposal sites.
- Assists in evaluating feral cats for euthanasia.
- Coordinates animal quarantine for dangerous or suspected rabid animals according to state quarantine laws including, but not limited to, related paperwork and animal observation.
- Maintains computer based information on animals within the shelter to include type of animal, location, disposition data and any other pertinent information as determined by Department policy.
- Picks ups donated supplies from private and public agencies.
- Supports the Department in mandated ESF-17 (Emergency Support Function 17) responsibilities in the event of a disaster or during an activation of the County’s Emergency Operations Center.
- Performs related work as required.
- Knowledge of Florida and Hillsborough County animal care and control laws and ordinances pertaining to small animals.
- Knowledge of procedures for care and humane treatment of small animals.
- Knowledge of general maintenance and sanitation techniques used in animal shelters.
- Knowledge of animal drug use regulations, euthanasia programs, and biohazardous waste disposal.
- Knowledge in identification of animal diseases and health requirements.
- Ability to use animal handling equipment within a shelter environment, including specialized handling of dangerous or suspect rabid animals.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions.
- Ability to read and understand job related material.
- Ability to follow written and oral directions.
- Ability to perform duties with little supervision.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*