Transportation Worker (Advance)
|Date Opened||6/12/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/16/2018 12:40:00 PM|
|Salary||$27,539.20 - $42,702.40/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Completion of the ninth grade; and
Three years of experience performing construction or maintenance duties in one of the following areas: roads, rights-of-way, bridges or storm water drainage systems; and
Possession of a valid Driver License.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted below.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- Lift and carry a minimum of five (5) pounds and greater with an average of forty five (45) pounds with occasional lifting up to approximately ninety (90) pounds over uneven, rough terrain.
- Perform tasks that require eye and hand coordination.
- Bend, climb, stoop, kneel or crouch at ground levels and to stand for long periods of time.
- Work outside in a subtropical climate under adverse weather and working conditions (i.e.: sun, rain, cold, swamp, ditches, dirt and hot asphalt) and high noise levels.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below:
- Assists with the construction, maintenance, and repair of roads, road shoulders, county owned rights-of-way, easements, bridges, storm water drainage systems and other related county assets in accordance with Florida Department of Transportation standards, American Public Works Association best management practices, county guidelines and other state and federal regulations and guidelines.
- Mows grassy areas along roadways, easements, rights-of-way and in medians, to include removing debris, in accordance with standard operating procedures to maintain a safe and efficient environment for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Cuts brush, weeds, and assists in trimming low hanging tree limbs or removing trees along roadways and in county owned rights-of-way to include root pruning, stump removal, and brush chipping to maintain safe clearance standards, provide safe recovery zones and remove line-of-sight obstructions.
- Performs semi-skilled to skilled work assignments, under the direction of a lead worker, associated with: patching road surfaces; stabilizing road shoulders; resurfacing of roads; repairing or installing fences and guardrails; repairing and maintaining bridges; cleaning and reshaping drainage ditches; installing or replacing drain pipes; constructing segments of roads; repairing and maintaining storm water drainage systems, including pipe, slip-liner installation and end wall, inlet and manhole repair; and maintaining other related transportation assets to maintain them in a good and safe operational condition.
- Operates light to medium automotive vehicles and construction equipment such as specialized road patching / paving equipment, bulldozers, graders, backhoes, loaders, street sweepers, tractor with lowboy trailer, rollers, skid loaders, dump trucks up to eighteen yard capacity, flatbed trucks, slope mowers, walk behind compactor or road-rollers, and farm type tractors with attached mowing decks.
- Operates mowing equipment and mowing decks, vans, specially designed vehicle servicing trucks, power lift equipment and pickup trucks to construct, maintain and repair roads, bridges, and other related county assets.
- Operates small motorized equipment such as stump grinders, concrete grinders, lawn mowers, chain saws, edger, trimmers, weed eaters, air compressors, jack hammers, mixers, pumping equipment and other similar equipment; and uses various hand tools to construct, maintain, and repair roads, bridges, and other related county assets.
- Performs semi-skilled masonry, block and concrete work on bridges, roads, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, and other related assets to construct or restore them to specified service levels.
- Cleans and performs operator inspection, servicing, preventive maintenance and simple repairs to equipment used and ensures that periodic maintenance and major repairs are identified and scheduled to ensure proper operation and prolong service life.
- Performs daily safety inspections and observes proper safety practices and regulations when operating or working around equipment.
- Sets up traffic control in accordance with Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) guidelines and establishes and maintains work zone safety to maintain a safe work environment.
- Sets flags, barricades and other traffic control devices and controls the flow of traffic through and around work sites to provide a safe environment for workers and the public.
- Trains and provides guidance to employees in lower level jobs.
- Assumes lead worker responsibilities, when so designated, in the absence of the lead worker.
- May be required to provide operational support during periods of local, state and national emergencies due to man-made and natural disasters.
- Performs other related duties as required
- Knowledge, skills and abilities of the Transportation Worker, plus:
- Knowledge of the operation, use, and safety practices of automotive vehicles and construction equipment to include specialized road patching / paving equipment, bulldozers, graders, backhoes, loaders, street sweepers, tractor with lowboy trailer, rollers, skid loaders, dump trucks, flatbed trucks, vans, pickup trucks, farm type tractors used in large scale mowing operations, slope mowers, edger, lawn mowers, cement mixers, compressors, concrete grinders and other similar equipment.
- Knowledge of traffic laws, regulations, and safety practices applicable to the operation of motorized vehicles on public streets and highways.
- Knowledge of procedures and techniques used to perform semi-skilled construction, maintenance and repair work of roads, bridges, storm water drainage systems, and other related assets.
- Knowledge of Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Chapter 6; for safe work zones.
- Skill in the use of various tools and equipment used to construct, maintain, and repair roads, bridges, storm water drainage systems, and other related assets.
- Ability to service and make minor repairs and adjustments to vehicles and equipment operated.
- Ability to closely follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to read and understand job related material.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to safely operate motorized vehicles and construction equipment.
- Ability to train others.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SOME POSITIONS
Flagging and Traffic Control Certificate;
Possession of Work Zone Maintenance of Traffic Intermediate Certificate;
First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification;
Pesticide Applicator Certification with specific endorsements.
These and other job related certifications may be required throughout employment in this position.
SPECIAL PROBATIONARY NOTE
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*