Performs trainee duties in the construction, maintenance, and repair of water or reclaimed water distribution systems or wastewater collection systems to include the installation, maintenance and repair of valves, meters, pumps and associated equipment.
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED certificate.
Or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted below; and
Possession of a valid Driver License.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Note: To be acquired during the training period.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
Note: Incumbents function in a trainee capacity to gain proficiency in the duties listed below and become eligible for promotion to Utilities Maintenance Worker.
· Makes repairs to water, reclaimed water or wastewater lines to include laying and caulking pipe, cutting pipe, tapping mains and service lines, installing and setting meters, and flushing and evacuating clogged wastewater lines.
· Performs semiskilled and skilled installation, maintenance, and repair of valves, meters, gauges, pumps, and associated equipment used in water, reclaimed water distribution systems or wastewater collection systems.
· Locates and marks location of water, reclaimed and wastewater lines to prevent damage during construction and digging operations.
· Operates equipment such as air hammers, air compressors, pipe pushers, hand tools, pumps, torches, and drills to perform maintenance of water, reclaimed or wastewater lines.
· Assists in excavating work site as required to facilitate installation, maintenance or repair of water, reclaimed water or wastewater lines and restoring site to original condition when work is complete.
· Operates light construction equipment such as backhoe, dump truck, jet truck, pickup truck, jack hammer or boring machine.
· Operates medium construction equipment such as a dozer, 690 excavator, minitrack excavator, case loader, and transport truck with trailer or tanker, under the supervision of a qualified operator.
· Inspects vehicles and equipment prior to and after use, including checking fluid levels and tire pressures, to ensure their safe and proper operation.
· Performs grounds keeping and custodial work as required.
· May provide instruction and guidance to lower level employees as required.
· Reads water meters when necessary.
· Performs other related duties as required.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SOME POSITIONS
Employees in this class will serve a one year probationary period; and
must obtain a State of
CLASS: UMWKRAFTC; EST: 3/10/2002; REV: 5/1/2011;