Performs duties managing a regional county library facility or county wide library programs.
Graduation from an American Library Association accredited college or university with a Master's Degree in Library Science (MLS); and
Three years of post-MLS experience as a children’s librarian; one year of which must have been as a Senior Librarian; and
Possession of a valid Driver License.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
· Extensive knowledge of the principles, methods, techniques and procedures of professional library work.
· Extensive knowledge of books, periodicals, and other source materials in one or more subjects.
· Extensive knowledge of children’s literature including bibliographic tools and sources, and other children’s library materials, including online databases.
· Extensive knowledge of age group reference materials and programs.
· Extensive knowledge of appropriate materials and programs for various age groups.
· Considerable knowledge of children’s developmental stages.
· Skill in the use of automated-online catalog systems.
· Ability to explain and assist patrons in the use of library materials.
· Ability to use library classification, catalogue, filing and record-keeping systems.
· Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others.
· Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
· Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Ability to collect, organize and evaluate data.
· Ability and willingness to develop strong interactive community relationships to ensure satisfactory patron interaction.
· Ability to stand, sit and walk for extended periods of time.
· Ability to lift, push, or handle library materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
· Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
· Ability to stand, bend and kneel.
NOTE: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
· Manages the operations of a library agency or function.
· Supervises the work of subordinate staff by scheduling, assigning and reviewing work, providing training and counseling, and evaluating performance.
· Plans, develops, implements, and reviews overall agency operations.
· Plans, organizes, implements and presents children’s programs to children, parents and caregivers.
· Maintains regular contact with peers in schools and other children’s services agencies.
· Coordinates toddler, preschool, youth and teen programs.
· Conducts outreach programs that include schools, daycare centers, parks and recreation centers, and other designated agencies.
· Provides reference and readers' advisory services.
· Plans, implements, and participates in agency collection development and collection management, and the acquisition and cataloging of library materials.
· Plans, develops and implements community relations activities, programming, and community outreach.
· Acts as custodian of all agency monies and inventory.
· Performs other related duties as required.
CLASS: PLIBYSGENQ; EST: 9/22/2008 9:39:00 AM; REV: 8/26/2010;