Performs entry level professional library duties.
Graduation from an American Library Association accredited college or university with a Master's Degree in Library Science; and
Possession of a valid Driver License.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
· Working knowledge of the principles, methods, techniques and procedures of professional library work.
· Working knowledge of children’s literature including bibliographic tools and sources, and other children’s library materials, including online databases.
· Working knowledge of library automated systems and personal computers.
· Working knowledge of books, periodicals, and other source materials.
· Working knowledge of age group reference materials and programs.
· Working knowledge of children’s developmental stages.
· Working knowledge of the techniques of programming for children.
· Working knowledge of Dewey Decimal classification system.
· Ability to instruct patrons in the use of library materials in all formats.
· Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others.
· Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
· Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Ability to effectively work with others.
· Ability to collect, organize and evaluate data.
· Ability to prepare and maintain work related records and reports.
· Ability to locate specific information in an online database.
· Ability to learn and use various library classification and filing schemes.
· Ability to accurately sort, file, and/or retrieve material using alphabetical, numerical and chronological systems.
· Ability and willingness to develop strong interactive community relationships to ensure satisfactory patron interaction.
· Ability to stand, sit and walk for extended periods of time.
· Ability to lift, push, or handle library materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
· Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
· Ability to stand, bend and kneel.
Ability to stand, bend and kneel.
NOTE: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
· Plans, organizes, implements and presents children’s programs to children, parents and caregivers.
· Maintains regular contact with peers in schools and other children’s services agencies.
· Coordinates toddler, preschool, youth and teen programs.
· Conducts outreach programs that include schools, daycare centers, parks and recreation centers, and other designated agencies.
· Provides reference and reader's advisory services.
· Instructs and assists customers in accessing library information.
· Participates in community relations activities, programming and community outreach.
· Supervises the work of subordinate staff by scheduling, assigning and reviewing work, providing training and counseling and evaluating performance.
· Performs collection development and management activities.
· Participates in the acquisition and cataloging of library materials.
· Assumes library facility in-charge responsibilities, as required.
· Performs other related duties as required.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SOME POSITIONS
Courses in children’s literature and children’s work taken for credit from an American Library Association accredited college or university.
CLASS: LIBRYSGENM; EST: 9/22/2008 9:36:00 AM; REV: 8/26/2010;