District Legislative Assistant (District 20)
|Date Opened||7/14/2017 8:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||8/15/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||Salary is commensurate with experience|
|Department||Senator Tom Lee|
|Job Type||Other Area Jobs|
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university; and One year of administrative experience.
A Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
NOTE: Professional or non-professional administrative experience can substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required college education.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Applicants must be self-motivated, and should possess excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Applicants should possess a strong knowledge of Florida state government structure, functions and legislative processes.
- Applicants must demonstrate the ability to conduct an in-depth, carefully documented policy analysis under minimal supervision within established deadlines.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Travel to Tallahassee required to assist the Senator during the Legislative Session and Committee Meetings.
- Analyzes and objectively summarizes proposed legislation to determine its effectiveness and the impact of its passage on the state and other entities and individuals.
- Uses logic and reasoning to identify and analyze the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Stays abreast of new and ongoing issues affecting assigned area of responsibility by collecting resource materials, reading industry publications, communicating with legislative committee staff, stakeholders, and agency personnel.
- Prepares letters, summaries, talk-sheets or speeches, reports, and informational memoranda for the Senator.
- Handles constituent requests.
- Schedules appointments.
- Attends state and local meetings and other events on behalf of the Senator, as well as working with groups to identify key issues for the district.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Excellent employee benefits.
Submission of Application
Interested parties may send a cover letter, resume and completed Florida Legislature Employment Application to:
State Senator Tom Lee
915 Oakfield Drive, Suite D
Brandon, FL 33511
or email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are available through the Florida Legislature's web site.