Summer Youth Intern (High School)
|Date Opened||2/10/2020 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||5/10/2020 11:59:00 PM|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
• Seeking a career path directly after graduating high school
Summer Youth Internship provides participants the opportunity to gain hands on experience while building valuable skills that will allow youth to explore career options by personalized learning experience.
Youth intern will learn and be exposed to a variety of tasks within Hillsborough County Departments to gain valuable work experience and develop on-the-job skills.
- Must be Hillsborough County Public Student (rising senior graduating in 2021);
- Must have a minimum grade point average 2.0;
- Must submit the online application and provide required documentation at time of submission, including last report card, and two (2) recommendation letters accepted from any of the following:
- success coach,
- principal or
- community leader;
- Pass pre-employment background screenings;
- Must be able to commit to a 8-week schedule;
- Must have reliable transportation to/from to work site locations;
- Applicants under 18 years old must provide parental consent forms.
Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service.
Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve.
Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations.
Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Youth interns will dedicate 40 hours per week to work assignments, performance management instruction and coaching, participation in structured tours, career development workshops, and peer networking sessions. Through this internship, the intern will:
- Learn about a variety of entry level careers within the Hillsborough County.
- Develop knowledge and skills required on the job.
- Learn about the core functions and the essential services of the department selected.
- Work with a mentor on real world assignments.
- Attend weekly interactive tours and development courses.
- Perform other related duties as required.
To learn more about the Summer Youth Internship, click here.
- Ability to learn about programs and services provided by the Department designated.
- Ability to use a computer.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Must be willing to learn on an ongoing basis.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Hillsborough County government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.