Construction Codes Inspector (Mechanical)
|Date Opened||1/30/2020 11:01:00 AM|
|Salary||$48,235.20 - $93,392.00/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- 5 years of experience in the mechanical construction trade or related field inspection or plans review
- Possesses a Standard Inspector License issued under Chapter 468 of the Florida Statutes or has the ability to obtain said license with 12 months of hiring
- Ability to demonstrate working knowledge of the current State of Florida Building Codes
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate
Possession of a valid Florida Driver's License
Tier 1: Possession of one (1) standard Inspector License issued by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation Building Code Administrators and Inspectors Board, under Chapter 468 of the Florida Statutes; OR five (5) years of experience in applicable construction trade or related field inspection or plan reviews; AND must obtain a standard Inspectors License in the applicable trade within 12 months of hire.
Tier 2: Possession of one (1) standard Inspector License AND one (1) Plans Examiner License OR an additional standard Inspector License issued by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation Building Code Administrators and Inspectors Board, under Chapter 468 of the Florida Statutes.
Tier 3: Possession of 1&2 Family Dwelling Inspector License AND one (1) standard Inspector License AND one (1) Plans Examiner License OR and additional standard Inspector License issued by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation Building Code Administrators and Inspectors Board, under Chapter 468 of the Florida Statutes.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- Ability to climb ladders, rafters and scaffolding; crawl into attics and under buildings.
- Job tasks involve frequent walking, standing, bending, stooping; unassisted lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to differentiate between colors or shades of color.
- Tasks require infrequent exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one of more of the activities described below.
- Inspects existing buildings for structural, plumbing, electrical, and/or mechanical compliance with codes.
- Performs inspections of construction, installations and repairs, and issues notices of code violations applicable to the trade in accordance with the Florida Building Codes and Hillsborough County Construction Ordinance.
- Inspects building and site construction and the installation of plumbing, electrical or gas systems or mechanical equipment for compliance with state and county codes, laws and ordinances.
- Inspects construction sites for general compliance with zoning, flood, and other site requirements.
- Ensures that projects comply with Florida Accessibility Code, Life Safety Codes and the Florida Energy Code.
- Inspects all work upon completion and signs permit giving final approval.
- Assess code inspection complaints and takes appropriate action.
- Makes routine and periodic inspections of assigned area to check for violations and hazardous conditions.
- Testifies before the Board of Adjustment and Appeals or in a court of law when subpoenaed.
- Prepares and submits reports of buildings in violation of building, plumbing, mechanical or electrical codes.
- Trains lower level Building Inspectors in their initial inspection duties and procedures.
- Answers questions from the public pertaining to building issues.
- Reviews plans and specifications for building permits, checking for compliance with current state of Florida Building Codes and Hillsborough County Construction Ordinance.
- Reviews plans and specification for proposed construction of buildings and building improvements.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge of state and local codes and laws governing building construction or mechanical, electrical, gas or plumbing system construction and installation.
- Knowledge of federal and state accessibility requirements for commercial, industrial, and residential construction.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical construction and maintenance.
- Knowledge of inspection methods and procedures, and knowledge of OSHA construction site safety requirements.
- Knowledge of the materials and methods used in general building construction.
- Knowledge of the applicable building trade and of stages of construction when possible defects and violations may most easily be observed and corrected.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to understand established building codes in the applicable trade.
- Ability to recognize faulty construction or hazardous conditions.
- Ability to read and interpret complex building/construction plans, diagrams, blueprints, and specifications.
- Ability to enforce codes and regulations firmly, tactfully and impartially.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, contractors, engineers and the general public.
- Demonstrates effective problem-solving efforts and generates new ideas.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.