Manager Enterprise GIS
|Date Opened||8/14/2019 07:55:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||9/11/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$72,904.00 - $116,625.60/year|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Graduation from an accredited four year degree granting college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Geography, Geomatics, Survey and Mapping, Engineering or related field; AND
Seven years of experience managing GIS or related projects.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted below.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Critical Thinking: This role entails the Manager to think independently, exercise a rational data driven skill set, and provide leadership based upon industry best practices.
Decision Making: This position requires considerable initiative and a demonstrated pattern of sound judgment.
Communication: This position requires considerable initiative and demonstrated pattern of sound judgment.
Strategic Planning: The responsibilities of this position require the Manager to engage with community stakeholders including multiple municipalities and government service providers to balance the needs of a geographic area encompassing over 1,000 square miles.
Managerial/Operational Skills: Extensive knowledge of management principles, practices, innovative leadership and motivation techniques.
Leadership: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with others within and outside the organization; provide suggestions for improvement to senior management , and continuously strive to improved efficiency using advances in technology.
- Oversees and directs operations of the Geomatics GIS Team.
- Formulates scope of work, schedules projects, designs performance measures, and monitors projects and staff progress.
- Takes corrective action as necessary to ensure timely delivery of work.
- Serves as initial point of contact to other departments and agencies in GIS matters, represents Geomatics Section at meeting, functions or events, and coordinates GIS activities with other BOCC departments and external agencies.
- Provides GIS support for Emergency Management activities, acts as primary responder at the Emergency Operations Center to assist in disaster recovery efforts, and represents Geomatics Section interests at regional emergency management meetings, exercises and conferences.
- Responds to administrative referrals, assignments, inquiries, and requests for information; performs complex geospatial analysis or projects requiring advanced technical skills or those that are politically sensitive.
- Plans and manages GIS Team budget; prepares necessary budget documents, and monitors expenses to ensure compliance with Hillsborough County budgeting practices.
- Assesses resource needs and identifies shortfalls; interviews and recruits new personnel
- Provides management and oversight of the countywide enterprise GIS.
- Assumes the authority of, and acts on behalf of, more senior officials as directed..
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Extensive knowledge of GIS, including advanced location and proximity (geospatial) based analysis techniques, data modeling, work process analysis, relational databases, computer programming techniques, cartographic principles and data creation methodology.
- Extensive knowledge of Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) suite of GIS Software.
- Experience providing web-based on mobile GIS solutions.
- Extensive knowledge of management principles, practices, innovative leadership and motivation techniques.
- Skill in controlling and managing large expenditures related to agency-wide projects and map generation.
- Skill in writing and presenting reports to upper management.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with others within and outside own organization.
- Ability to use considerable initiative, think independently, and exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to use technology to accomplish project management in a fiscally efficient manner.
- Ability to track and oversee the completion of many projects simultaneously.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*