|Date Opened||8/7/2019 09:01:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||8/28/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$23.00 - $35.20/hour|
|Job Type||Internal Only|
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate; AND
- Three years (3) employed as a Firefighter, Fire Medic I, or Fire Medic III within the Hillsborough County Fire Rescue Department; AND
- Possession of a valid State of Florida Firefighter's Certificate of Compliance; AND
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver's License.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, methods, techniques, practices, procedures, equipment and apparatus used in modern fire fighting and in protection of life and property from fire.
- Considerable knowledge of safe driving techniques for emergency vehicles.
- Considerable knowledge of roads, streets, hospitals, schools, and other facilities within response area.
- Considerable knowledge of ventilation principles, practices, and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of first-aide principles, practices, and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of ladder principles, practices, and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of principles, practices, and techniques of water supply and hoseline operations.
- Working knowledge fire fighting and search and rescue methods and techniques.
- Working knowledge of the functions, services, procedures and regulations of the unit to which assigned.
- Working knowledge of proper lifting techniques.
- Working knowledge of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
- Some knowledge of equipment used for patient care such as defibrillators and vital signs monitors.
- Skill in the use and care of hand tools and equipment.
- Ability to assimilate, identify, and analyze fireground conditions to determine type of firefighting problems present and courses of action to initiate.
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to make sound decisions quickly under stressful conditions.
- Ability to work effectively with others.Ability to lift and carry weights up to 90 pounds.
- Ability to perform duties under hazardous conditions requiring considerable physical exertion.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally, non-verbally, and in writing.
- Ability and willingness to perform housekeeping activities.
- Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts to include nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in a subtropical climate under adverse weather conditions and high noise levels.
- Ability to maintain combat firefighter readiness status.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Drives emergency vehicles to the scene of emergencies following a predetermined route or selecting an alternate route when necessary.
- Positions vehicle considering wind direction, sources of water, and potential hazards to ensure operational effectiveness.
- Operates fire apparatus effectively to ensure smooth fire ground operations.
- Completes daily check of apparatus and equipment to insure operational response readiness.
- Restores apparatus and equipment to operational readiness status at completion of incident.
- Participates in station drills, allied emergency procedures and actions, and required refresher training.
- Participates in pre-fire planning of public facilities within a designated area to include preparing floor plans and records with key items to facilitate firefighting operations.
- Performs maintenance on department equipment, grounds, furnishings or structures.
- Performs fire suppression duties as required.Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
SPECIAL PROBATIONARY NOTE
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*