|Date Opened||8/7/2019 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/21/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$38,771.20 - $62,025.60/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The Hillsborough County Public Utilities Department is seeking an Environmental Specialist to perform technical work directing activities concerning inspecting, sampling, testing and evaluating in an environmental pollution control and/or permitting program. The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in a natural or physical science and a minimum of two years of experience in environmental fields.
- Knowledge of Federal and State rules that apply to applicable areas of environmental compliance criteria such as solid waste, waste cleanup, drinking water, domestic wastewater, and underground injection control (UIC).
- Ability to read and interpret environmental permits and implement specific monitoring requirements.
- Knowledge of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) Standard Operating Procedures for groundwater, surface water, and drinking water compliance sampling
- Working knowledge of environmental data collection, recording, and data management.
- Knowledge of environmental sampling techniques and procedures in environmental groundwater, surface water, and drinking water compliance sampling.
- Ability to prepare and/or review detailed technical reports for Federal, State, and/or local regulatory agencies experience with reviewing water quality laboratory reports, maintaining and graphing database information, creating isopleth maps, and drafting of geologic reports.
- Ability to effectively communicate, coordinate, and negotiate with customers, vendors, and regulators both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain constructive and cooperative interpersonal relationships with staff, peers, management, and regulators.
Two years of experience in environmental protection or control, or environmental laboratory analysis; AND Possession of a valid Driver License.
An equivalent combination of relevant education (not less that possession of a High School diploma/GED), training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted above; and
Possession of a valid Driver License.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- Medium work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Typically takes place in a field environment.
- Requires standing, sitting or bending for an extended period of time.
- Possible exposure to chemicals and pollutants.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below:
- May supervise activities and personnel engaged in an environmental evaluation, enforcement and/or permitting program.
- Formulates and recommends policies and procedures to ensure the maximum utilization of personnel and to increase program effectiveness.
- Reviews and participates in difficult or complex field tests and evaluation projects.
- May perform routine analyses and interpret results, as needed.
- Develops improved techniques, studies new developments, and tests new methods.
- Reviews new developments in instrumentation and analytical techniques.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge of environmental inspection, sampling and collection methods.
- Knowledge of environmental data collection, recording, and field monitoring equipment operation and maintenance.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and County environmental pollution control laws and regulations.
- Skill in the use and operation of data collection, recording, and field monitoring equipment.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to plan, organize, and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to collect, organize, and evaluate data and to develop logical conclusions.
- Ability to organize information into a logical presentation format.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*