Environmental Lands Management Technician(Invasive Control Team)
|Date Opened||7/17/2019 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/2/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$30,971.20 - $48,006.40/year|
|Department||Regional Parks & Environmental Lands|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate; AND
- Two years of field experience in a position related to Ecology, Environmental Science or Natural Resource Management;
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted below; AND ·
- Must maintain a valid FL Driver’s License and clean driving record; AND
- Must obtain and maintain Restricted Use Pesticide License-Natural Areas Category within 6 months of employment.
- Must pass basic firefighting training courses (S130, S190, I100) within 6 months of employment
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- Requires performing physical labor on consistent basis.
- Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions in a subtropical climate.
- Work involves being around flames and smoke.
- Requires performing physical labor on consistent basis. This position may be required to report for work, and work long hours, when a declaration of emergency has been declared in Hillsborough County.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below:
- Participates in exotic plant control projects with team using herbicide
- Identifies and documents all infestations and treatments using GPS software
- Records herbicide usage and rates appropriately
- Monitors and prevents leaks and spills
- Uses chemicals in accordance with labels and guidelines
- Prepare prescribed burn units and participate on or lead prescribed burns, as directed
- Assist with habitat restoration activities
- Fasten and transport loads such as heavy equipment, UTV’s, mowers, etc. using trucks and trailers
- Conduct preventative maintenance on UTV’s, mowers, power tools, and other equipment
- Operate tractors, backhoes and other heavy machinery
- Conduct preventative maintenance on tractors and other heavy machinery
- Maintain grounds, trails and fire lanes through mowing, disking, trimming, etc.
- Trim limbs and brush using hand tools and power saws
- Construct and maintain signs, restroom facilities and parking areas at various preserves
- Conduct maintenance of access points, parking areas, kiosks, recreational trails, fire lanes, and park sites
- Open and close gates, as needed, for public access
- Remove trash from preserves
- Post property boundaries and entrances with appropriate signage
- Conduct regular site security inspections
- Document daily activities in preserves, including plant & animal sightings
- Assist with water quality monitoring
- Assist with exotic/ invasive/ nuisance animal removal
- Assist with guided field trips and volunteer events
- Attend job skill training and apply new skills, as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to follow technical directions. High degree of adaptability and problem solving ability.
- Ability to walk, climb, run, stoop, bend, stand, push, pull, lift 40 lbs. and carry heavy item, and to work outdoors year round in typical Florida conditions
- Ability to obtain and maintain Restricted Use Pesticide License/Natural Areas category within 6 months of hire date. Ability to pass basic fire training courses including S130, S190, I100 within 6 months of hire date.
- Skill in operation of UTV, truck and trailer, tractors and similar heavy equipment. Ability to operate power tools such as spray pumps, chain saws, trimmers, mowers, etc.
- Ability to learn and identify FLEPPC category 1 and 2 invasive plants in Florida and to use computer software and tablets to document and record GPS tracks and spray data.
- Ability to read and comply with instructions on herbicide labels and follow all applicable laws and regulations.
- Ability to retain knowledge of preserve locations and access points.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SOME POSITIONS
- Must maintain a valid FL Driver’s License and clean driving record.
- Must obtain and maintain Restricted Use Pesticide License-Natural Areas Category. License must be obtained within 6 months of hiring.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*