Survey Technician (Surveying)
|Date Opened||2/5/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/19/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$35,152.00 - $54,496.00/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate; and
Three years of experience in land surveying field duties and/or land surveying drafting support.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted below.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service.
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve.
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations.
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals.
- Work is generally outdoors and may occur during moderately adverse conditions to include weather, traffic, dampness, exposure to storm water and waste water flows and atmospheres.
- Involves physical activities that require considerable use of arms and legs and moving the whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
- Lift and carry equipment for periods of short duration but repeatedly over the course of a day (occasionally requires heavy lifting)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Operates surveying instruments and devices to collect data for survey projects.
- Organizes, oversees and conducts field land surveys; processes survey data from field notes to develop plans and maps for the use of others.
- Researches public or private records to obtain or supplement data for survey or drafting purposes and maintains appropriate files.
- Creates, reviews, edits, updates, and plots surveys and maps to ensure their accuracy, using computerized mapping software.
- Drafts or revises plans and drawings from in-house projects, contractors designed projects, field notes or construction plans to ensure conformance with specifications and contract requirements.
- Reviews construction plans, drawings and specifications to ensure compliance with regulations and specifications.
- Performs or monitors performance of field tests to ensure proper installations and conformance with standards and specifications.
- Attends preconstruction meetings with engineers and developers to discuss construction schedules and other issues.
- Acquires aerial photography and mapping services for use by engineers and surveyors; and prepares related information for bid packages; and reviews and recommends approval of payment requests.
- Ensures the safe handling of chemicals, fluids and gases.
- Orders supplies, maintains equipment, and performs other administrative duties.
- Maintains records and logs and prepares reports.
- Supervises the work of others by scheduling, assigning and reviewing work, providing training and counseling and evaluating performance.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
- Extensive knowledge of land surveying methods and practices.
- Extensive knowledge of the use and calibration of land surveying instruments and devices.
- Considerable knowledge of Standards of Practice per Florida Statutes as it relates to land surveying.
- Considerable knowledge of land surveying drafting and mapping techniques.
- Working knowledge in the use of computer aided drafting (CAD) as it relates to land surveying.
- Working knowledge of high school level mathematics, including geometry.
- Working knowledge of public works construction methods, practices and procedures.
- Some knowledge of construction methods, specifications, materials, and equipment.
- Skill in the use of surveying instruments and devices.
- Skill in the use of plotting and other mapping equipment.
- Ability to record survey field notes, sketches, readings, and observations.
- Ability to read and understand survey field notes, aerial photography, legal descriptions, parcel data, plats, sketches, and/or engineering construction plans.
- Ability to plan, organize, and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*