|Date Opened||2/8/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/15/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$27,539.20 - $42,702.40/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Ability to work outside in the extreme conditions of Florida.
- Basic computer skills.
Six months of experience as a meter reader; and
Possession of a valid Driver License.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- Work outside in a subtropical climate and adverse weather conditions.
- Walk extended distances.
- Lift and carry up to 25 pounds.
- Bend, stoop, kneel or crouch to ground level.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below:
- Reads water meters on an assigned walking route and records readings using a portable microprocessor unit
- Updates automated utility billing system database by entering meter locations, maintenance codes and special account notes.
- Rereads meters where improper readings were submitted for billing.
- Initiates service orders for meter, meter box, and lid repair or replacement.
- Locates and examines meters and connections for leaks and incorrect registration of consumption.
- Makes minor repairs or replacement of damaged or defective meters or boxes.
- Responds to citizen's questions while in the field.
- Prepares schedule of daily meter assignments, weekly inventories and monthly vehicle inspections.
- Designs maps for use in meter reading and assists in re-sequencing existing routes and new planned communities or subdivisions.
- Assists in the training of new meter readers.
- Performs clerical duties in the office by checking route books, assisting in billing and preparing form letters.
- Assists in other areas of utilities operations and maintenance as needed.
- Performs related work as required.
- Knowledge of meter reading practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of water meter installation practices.
- Knowledge of microprocessor meter reading and recording procedures.
- Knowledge of department services and policies.
- Skill in the use of hand tools.
- Ability to design maps.
- Ability to perform minor meter repairs.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to accurately enter alpha and numeric data.
- Ability to work outside in a subtropical climate and adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to walk extended distances.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to bend, stoop, kneel or crouch to ground level.
- Ability to enter and exit a vehicle repeatedly during the work day.
- Ability to safely drive a motor vehicle.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*