Engineer (Transportation Review Engineer)
|Date Opened||2/9/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/9/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$67,808.00 - $108,513.60/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Four years of post-registration engineering experience.
An equivalent combination of relevant education (not less than possession of a High School diploma/GED), training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted above; and
Registration in the State of Florida as a Professional Engineer (active status) as required by the Florida Statutes Chapter 471 or the ability to obtain a professional engineer’s license in the State of Florida within 6 months of employment. If Engineer currently holds a license in another state.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- Work is performed in the office and construction sites.
- Requires frequent standing, sitting, walking, and stooping.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Responsible for the review and approval of road and traffic plans for capital improvement and land development projects.
- Supervises the work of professional and technical subordinate staff by scheduling, assigning and reviewing work, providing training and counseling, and evaluating performance.
- Responsible for performance of the technical staff reviewing road and traffic engineering plans and timely completion of review submittals.
- Works with design professionals and others to resolve review comments and issues.
- Coordinates with other operating units within the County and other agencies on issues related to design elements and construction plans.
- Conducts conferences and other meetings as required.
- Provides contract administration including creating work orders, tracking progress, approving invoices and working with consultants to maintain the continuity of service of the contract.
- Manages public works project closeout activities.
- Recommends staffing requirements and budgets.
- Signs and seals engineering documents as necessary.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices for the design of transportation facilities.
- Knowledge of Hillsborough County’s Technical Publications.
- Knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), civil engineering, and environmental engineering principles and practices.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, regulations and ordinances, and other professional sources of information pertaining to public roadways, infrastructures, real estate and environmental permitting.
- Knowledge of roadway and flexible pavement design based on Florida Department of Transportation design criteria.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of land surveying.
- Knowledge of computer modeling and computer aided drafting and mapping software and applications associated with the planning and design of all types of transportation projects.
- Knowledge of geographic information system (GIS) software.
- Knowledge of large and/or complex public works construction projects and project management methods and practices.
- Knowledge of field testing, sampling and investigative techniques and procedures.
- Ability to develop scopes of work for consultant review teams and special program related services.
- Ability to manage work orders and maintain schedules with consultants.
- Ability to analyze data, existing programs, policies, and procedures and maintain them.
- Ability to develop and utilize computer applications for engineering modeling, design, drafting, and mapping and specific knowledge of Microsoft programs for reporting.
- Ability to manage, train, schedule, assign, monitor, review, and evaluate assigned staff.
- Ability to comprehend and apply engineering, scientific and technical principles and methods to plan, formulate and carry out programs and policies.
- Ability to write briefing and complex technical reports.
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external entities with considerable interpersonal and managerial skills.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.