Construction Permit Technician
|Date Opened||1/12/2018 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/26/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$29,868.80 - $47,777.60/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Two years of clerical experience involving public contact, one year of working with building, zoning, or construction permits; and
Possession of a valid Driver License.
An equivalent combination of education (not less than a high school diploma/GED), training, and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job specific competencies listed above; and
Possession of a valid Driver License.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
- Walking, sitting, standing, and some lifting
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below:
- Accepts, reviews and verifies the content of residential building permit applications for completeness of required information.
- Assists in the review of commercial building permit applications for completeness, to include reviewing blueprints, site plans and technical drawings, to ensure minimum standards have been met in accordance with established procedures, codes and ordinances.
- Review process for issuance of trade permits.
- Create tracking/permit number and enter plan review fees and route to appropriate staff.
- Verifies contractor certification numbers listed in the building permit packages to ensure proper certification in the appropriate areas and insurance requirements have been met.
- Advises contractors, homeowners and the general public on the building permit application process.
- Enters permitting application data, correspondence, create and maintain records and reports.
- Handles permitting email box.
- Researches files and related databases to extract data needed to resolve problems concerning permit issuance.
- Knowledge of basic land development and construction permit requirements.
- Knowledge of general permit processing and procedures.
- Knowledge of land development and construction terminology.
- Able to interact with the public in a professional, courteous manner.
- Able to accurately answer questions and resolve problem situations or refer to appropriate office.
- Able to follow check lists and recognize different types of required exhibits and plans.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to participate effectively in the formulation of departmental policies and procedures.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task.
- Skilled in the use of various office equipment.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*