Solid Waste Transfer Equipment Operator
|Date Opened||12/22/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Salary||$29,744.00 - $47,216.00/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Completion of the ninth grade; and
Three years of experience in the operation of a semi-tractor trailer transport.
Possession of a valid Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL).
Ability to pass DOT physical.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Ability to pass DOT physical and lift up to 50lbs. and push/pull up to 100 lbs.
Ability to perform work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Working knowledge of the operation of semi-tractor trailer transport and other motorized equipment.
- Working knowledge of traffic laws and regulations applicable to the operation of motorized construction, maintenance, and transport equipment on public streets and highways.
- Working knowledge of safety equipment, standards and regulations.
- Skill in the operation of a semi-tractor trailer transport and other motorized equipment.
- Ability to service and make minor repairs and adjustments to equipment.
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to perform work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Ability to perform work requiring heavy physical labor.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and push/pull up to 100 pounds.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally.
- Ability to demonstrate good customer service skills.
- Ability to read and understand work related material.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to pass DOT physical on an annual basis.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Operates large semi-tractor trailer or roll-off motorized vehicles for the transportation of bulk solid waste material in constricted loading/unloading locations, on unimproved roads, and on heavily traveled roads and highways in compliance with all DOT and County safety rules and regulations. Operation of large semi-tractor trailer or roll-off motorized vehicles constitutes at least 75% of daily job duties.
- Operates hydraulic, pneumatic, and mechanical auxiliary equipment related to assigned tractors and trailers.
- Checks and ensures that equipment is serviced and in good working condition; makes minor repairs and adjustments to equipment, and ensures that periodic maintenance and major repairs are performed.
- Performs daily safety inspections and observes proper safety practices and regulations when operating or working around equipment.
- Operates other heavy equipment such as front-end loaders, excavators, and skid steers to perform a variety of solid waste operational functions, as needed.
- May supervise subordinate operators, trades helpers, or laborers or act as a lead driver.
- Uses manual tools to pick up litter at the facility and ensure proper disposal.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Selects traffic control signs, determines appropriate sign locations and installs signs on roadway easements.
- Sets up barricades for road closures in accordance with FDOT manuals.
- Listens to and refers to appropriate staff citizens & apos; complaints; compiles reports; and attends meetings to receive and disseminate information.
- Drives pickup truck to and from work sites, loads and unloads supplies and equipment, and performs minor safety and operational checks.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
Applicants are encouraged to use the online application -- once completed, you may re-use it "as is" for any number of additional jobs or you may customize it for additional jobs.
|Fill out the
Supplemental Questionnaire and
Application NOW using the Internet.
Clicking the link above will navigate you to the Employment Opportunities Page website for you to apply for this job.
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Ask a Question||To retrieve forgotten UserIDs and Passwords, or to ask a question, you may send us an email at CADHRJobInquiry@hillsboroughcounty.org.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.