Solid Waste Construction Equipment Operator
|Date Opened||11/30/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/21/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$27,976.00 - $44,428.80/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Completion of the ninth grade; and
Three years of experience in the operation of medium and heavy construction equipment, including front-end loaders or excavators.
Possession of a valid Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL); Or attain within the probationary period.*
Ability to pass DOT physical.
Or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted below.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Ability to pass DOT physical and lift up to 50lbs. and push/pull up to 100 lbs.
Ability to perform work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Working knowledge of the operation of a variety of medium to heavy motorized construction equipment and transportation vehicles, including front-end loaders or excavators.
- Working knowledge of traffic laws and regulations applicable to the operation of motorized construction, maintenance, and transport equipment on public streets and highways.
- Ability to perform service and make minor repairs to medium to heavy motorized construction equipment and transportation vehicles.
- Ability to perform work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Ability to perform work requiring heavy physical labor.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to demonstrate good customer service skills.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to obtain Transfer Station Spotter/Waste Screener certification within 12 months of initial hire date.
- Ability to pass DOT physical on annual basis.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Operates heavy equipment such as front-end loaders, excavators, and skid steers to perform a variety of Solid Waste operational functions, including receiving waste, loading trailers, processing roll-off containers, and performing clean-up functions. Operation of heavy equipment constitutes at least 75% of daily job duties.
- Screens Solid Waste materials received at the transfer station and removes unauthorized materials in accordance with the site’s operational permit.
- Checks and ensures that equipment is serviced and in good working condition; makes minor repairs and adjustments to equipment, and ensures that periodic maintenance and major repairs are performed.
- Performs daily safety inspections and observes proper safety practices and regulations when operating or working around equipment.
- Operates large semi-tractor trailer or roll-off motorized vehicles for the transportation of bulk Solid Waste material in constricted loading/unloading locations, on unimproved roads, and on heavily traveled roads and highways in compliance with all DOT and County safety rules and regulations as needed.
- Operates hydraulic, pneumatic, and mechanical auxiliary equipment related to assigned tractors and trailers.
- May supervise lower level operators, maintenance workers, trades helpers, or laborers on specific jobs or act as a lead operator.
- Uses manual tools to pick up litter at the facility and ensure proper disposal.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
SPECIAL PROBATIONARY NOTE
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*