Engineering Technician III
|Date Opened||10/13/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||10/27/2017 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$31,657.60 - $50,252.80/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate; and
Three years of experience in engineering support or drafting duties.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted below.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Walking approximately two (2) hours per day, standing/sitting approximately two (2) hours per day, and driving approximately four (4) hours per day. The job also requires frequent fine manipulations, repetitive motion, and lifting/carrying objects weighing up to 20 pounds; occasional bending/stooping, grasping, reaching.
Working primarily from an assigned vehicle, outdoors in the field, exposed to heat, sun, high humidity, rain and other adverse weather conditions.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Working knowledge of drafting and mapping techniques.
- Working knowledge of surveying methods and devices.
- Working knowledge of public works construction practices and procedures.
- Working knowledge of construction methods, specifications, materials and equipment.
- Working knowledge of cartographic standards.
- Working knowledge of high school level mathematics.
- Working knowledge of the use and calibration of engineering instruments.
- Some knowledge of the practices and methods of engineering as related to public works projects.
- Skill in the use of manual and computer aided drafting, mapping and blueprinting equipment.
- Skill in the use of surveying instruments and devices.
- Ability to read and understand aerial photos, blueprints, field survey notes, deeds, plats, parcel data, engineering plans and sketches.
- Ability to record field notes, sketches, readings, and observations.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports.
- Ability to plan, organize, and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Inspects phases of construction projects to ensure conformance with regulations, standards and specifications.
- Drafts or revises plans and drawings from in-house projects, contractors designed projects, field notes or construction plans to ensure conformance with specifications and contract requirements.
- Creates, reviews, plots, updates or edits maps to ensure their accuracy, using computerized mapping software.
- Researches public or private records to obtain or supplement data for survey or drafting purposes and maintains appropriate files.
- Reviews construction plans, drawings and specifications to ensure compliance with regulations and specifications.
- Performs or monitors performance of field tests to ensure proper installations and conformance with standards and specifications.
- Reviews citizen complaints, recommends or takes corrective action, or refers to appropriate office for resolution.
- Reviews contractor pay requests, change orders, progress schedules, and recommends approval/disapproval.
- Attends preconstruction meetings with engineers and developers to discuss construction schedules and other issues.
- Organizes, oversees and conducts field land surveys; processes survey data from computerized or field notes to develop plans and maps for the use of others.
- Performs traffic studies and inspections; inventories signal counting stations and data collecting equipment; investigates complaints and requests and submits reports with recommendations.
- Acquires aerial photography and mapping services for use by engineers and surveyors; and prepares related information for bid packages; and reviews and recommends approval of payment requests.
- Ensures the safe handling of chemicals, fluids and gases.
- Orders supplies, maintains equipment, and performs other administrative duties.
- Maintains records and logs and prepares reports.
- Supervises the work of others by scheduling, assigning and reviewing work, providing training and counseling and evaluating performance.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*